Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Steve's upgraded Pia guitars

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jono 
#1 · (Edited)
d

#4 ·
Interesting product... but I always have tools handy since I just play at home anyway.

Looking at that second picture, is it an optical illusion from the scalloped fretboard or does he really set his action that high? I always thought he'd be like Satriani and have silly low action for the intricate stuff he plays. Also, the headstock on the white/gold Pia looks so thick!

#5 ·
Looking at that second picture, is it an optical illusion from the scalloped fretboard or does he really set his action that high? I always thought he'd be like Satriani and have silly low action for the intricate stuff he plays. Also, the headstock on the white/gold Pia looks so thick!
I think the scallops definitely make it look a little higher, the action looks more normal in pic 1. I've also heard Steve doesn't like his action super low, so perhaps it's a combination of both.

The tool-less locks stickin' out look too ugly to me to be worth the few seconds it takes to unlock them with an allen key.

#8 ·
I'll be honest I don't get it, due to Covid and the death of live music the last time I unlocked the nuts on either of my Jems was months ago and they are both still in tune. But hey it's Steve's guitar and he likes what he likes, for me I think it makes the guitar look worse and I don't really understand the issue with the allen key method.

#9 ·
Yeah, I’d rather have a stock JEM than a modified Pia.

I know Steve loves to experiment with his guitars, but there’s a line where any technical gains are massively offset by the aesthetic drawbacks. This is a fantastic example of that ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.