Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always heard a bit 'bout storing guitars for long periods that you should slacken the strings. Is this a fallacy? If true, what type of time frame would you be lookin' at. Slacken strings if 6 months or longer? A year or longer? Cheers.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
With the Floyd Rose trem I wouldn't think you'd have to worry about it, but if it is a fixed bridge guitar it may not be a bad idea to lessen the stress on the truss.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I suppose it depends on the length of time. If you keep the strings loose, the neck can still warp. I believe the environment the guitar is kept in will have more of an effect than the string tension.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To elaborate on this (And thus not create another topic) I'm going to give you my delimma. I will soon be going to college, to play jazz guitar. Since I have played guitar, I have had a few favorites which I can never part with - one being my 7DBK which was the first guitar I was really close to. I will never part with it, and since college will be mainly jazz (And the guitar has had to have a few redressing of the frets - and let's just say it's seeing its years) I want to store it the safest way possible so that one day I can get a nice display case for it. For right now, it is stored in a closet in its case with the trem blocked with a couple rolls of pennies wrapped up in masking tape, and that being wrapped up in a rag so that nothing gets marred or scratched. That doo-hickey is placed underneath the bridge and the strings are slackened as to not put too much stress on the neck for the time it will be in the case. This is the best way I have figured I could do this setup - are there any suggestions you might have? Am I doing anything wrong? Should I be blocking the trem with something else? Somewhere else?

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Knightmeir said:
I suppose it depends on the length of time. If you keep the strings loose, the neck can still warp. I believe the environment the guitar is kept in will have more of an effect than the string tension.
^^ What he said!

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If you're gonna loosen the strings during storage, also loosen the truss rod until it exerts no pressure on the neck.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have a similar issue, I have a UV77BK back at home in NM that I have a friend taking care of. Next time I go home I want to put it into storage for a good while because I'm using my RG now so my UV doesn't get beat up. NM has a really dry climate and tends to suck the moisture out of wood, but I haven't had a problem with any of my other guitars there yet. So I should loosen the strings and the truss rod? I'll probably take out the fr springs too, is there anything else I can do to keep the neck from warping? I know I need to keep it in a place where it won't go through a big temperature change, so somewere downstairs in my house should be good. I want to keep it pristine so when I get out of the Navy it'll be ready to go to music college with me and everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts