Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine was telling me he was going to make his own guitar cables as follows:

A normal guitar cable has is a coacial cable with one central conductor(+) and the shielding (-).

To reduce noise this friend is going to make (buy) cables with 2 core conductors and one shielded cable. The 2 core (+ and -) cables are to transfer the signal and the shielding will be connected at only 1(!) side of the (-) central conductor.

Is this true or is he just fooling me? He seemed serious and he is a real audio freak...what an audio setup at his living room!:)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
jemke said:
A friend of mine was telling me he was going to make his own guitar cables as follows:

A normal guitar cable has is a coacial cable with one central conductor(+) and the shielding (-).

To reduce noise this friend is going to make (buy) cables with 2 core conductors and one shielded cable. The 2 core (+ and -) cables are to transfer the signal and the shielding will be connected at only 1(!) side of the (-) central conductor.

Is this true or is he just fooling me? He seemed serious and he is a real audio freak...what an audio setup at his living room!:)
Sounds completely pointless to me!
Buy a good quality regular guitar lead and you won't get any problems.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It's called an unbalanced connection with a floating shield. Theoretically, it can help in some situations. Might be worth a shot just for kicks. But in reality, the cable isn't usually the issue with guitar noise pickup; the pickups are. Against this, what noise a reasonable length of good quality cable adds (that is, short enough to not hurt the highs) is negligable.

If this were a panacea, all the major cable makers would be pushing them.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I've shielded connections of gain stages of amps I've modded like this, it helps some, can't see where it would make that big a difference for a guitar cable though.

Jester is right, if it made a difference someone would already be making them and selling them for outrageous amounts of $.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
JESTER700 said:
It's called an unbalanced connection with a floating shield. Theoretically, it can help in some situations. Might be worth a shot just for kicks. But in reality, the cable isn't usually the issue with guitar noise pickup; the pickups are. Against this, what noise a reasonable length of good quality cable adds (that is, short enough to not hurt the highs) is negligable.

If this were a panacea, all the major cable makers would be pushing them.
Depends if the conductor wires are the same size or different if it's unbalanced, but you're right on here.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
red5 said:
Depends if the conductor wires are the same size or different if it's unbalanced, but you're right on here.
Actually, the gauge of the conductors has nothing to do with it. If the 2 internal conductors have separate contacts from the shield, it's balanced (well, it CAN be - it's determined by the gear, not the cable, but such a cable could be USED for a balanced connection). That requires 3 conductors - a 1/4" tip/ring/sleeve, an XLR, etc. But that's not what he described - he says the shield shares a contact on one end with one of the conductors. So there's only 2 contacts. That's unbalanced.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This type of cable is common among all high-end cables out there. The real question is does it improve sound? In reality connecting the ground at one end only (flotaing ground) makes the cable directional - that is, the end that has the ground connected you should plug into the amp. Monster, Planet waves and others make cable like this. This creates problems though because it is easy to forget which end end to plug in where, and in reality there is no sonic difference (even when you accidently pulg on of these in the wrong way), and generally having a non-floating ground (shield soldered at both ends) is better for noise rejection.

Lava Man
www.lavacable.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts