Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! a small introduction from a newbie, i'm chris, i post pretty frequently on the vai.com board, and have often lurked around this forum, but have for some reason only just taken the time to sign up. i'm a jem fanatic through and through like most of you, i'd imagine, and hope i can bring something to this community.

right, now the jibbering is over and done with, i think i should introduce my two Jems ( they're much more interesting than i am).
i have a Jem7vwh 'FLO-1', which was written on the usual position by Steve himself. this weekend, i just bought a bit of a bargain Jem77FP in brilliant condition (the previous owner swapped out the two paf-pros and knobs for god-knows-what - the bridge pickup isn't even F-Spaced! this will be rectified.), besides all this, i am very happy with my purchase. i was just wondering if you'd ever seen an FP pattern like that? i know i haven't. i've had a look at some other FPs, and can see where some of the elements would be placed on other patterns, but can't find another like this. perhaps ibanez got to the end of the fabric roll and got a little creative? either way, she's a bit of a mongrel, but i already love her!

comments would be very welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
462 Posts
That's one evil looking FP man. I'm a really big fan of unique FPs. Here's an idea, since there's not much pink on the body, why not change the pickups and knobs to green?

It would be killer!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was thinking of doing that, but maybe just green knobs, and put in pink/green dimarzios.

what i may end up going with though, is a black/pink/pink/pink/black combo, with the last black unit being a sustainer. i dunno if i'd have the balls to have holes cut out of her though! i definitely agree with the green idea.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
Chris From Singapore. said:
That's one evil looking FP man. I'm a really big fan of unique FPs. Here's an idea, since there's not much pink on the body, why not change the pickups and knobs to green?

It would be killer!
Good idea w/ the green knobs and pups. That is a different pattern than I've seen. I love FP's too. Got two of um myself. Oh...and welcome to the greatest forum on the planet;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

actually, the more i look at that FP, the more i like it. i might actually keep the evil black look. might put pink knobs back on though

i do like pink.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I love the FP!!!! Its like Poison Ivy meets Darth Vader!!!!! Now, if someone would answer my post about the pick up selector, I could die happy! Welcome to you AND me both! We can be newbies together bro! (Awesome Evo too!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jafo said:
I love the FP!!!! Its like Poison Ivy meets Darth Vader!!!!! Now, if someone would answer my post about the pick up selector, I could die happy! Welcome to you AND me both! We can be newbies together bro! (Awesome Evo too!)
heh! actually, funny you should mention it, but that FP was sold to me without a pup selector too! perhaps they're collecting them somewhere for some kind of greater goal?!

the newbie brothers?! kinda like the doobie brothers, huh?!

i really shouldn't know that, i'm only 20......

·
Registered
422 Posts
To be honest, I'd go original as well, bright pink. PAF pros if you like that, but I'd go with a Steve's special so it sounds more like a UV. But that's just me lol. If you keep the black at least get a proper f-spaced pup though :D. Welcome.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah, i definitely need an F-spaced bridge pickup. i think that one is an original LP pickup replica, as i've got ones that look remarkably similar in a hand made guitar i created myself. the dynamics are just all a bit shot with that. i think when i do get new pickups, i'd have to go for a cool colour just because i can. i may end up going with pink Breeds or Pink Evo2. at the moment, it does sound like any proper jem, if a tiny bit noisier than my 7vwh, but i'm not even sure the electronics were done very well. who puts a standard pup in an F-Spaced guitar anyway?

on a slightly related note, when in holland for the recent vai shows, i played a really bad condition Jem77FP which must've been an '89 or thereabouts. i utterly hated it, and to make matters worse, they were charging the equivalent of £1200. it was the first time i'd ever even seen one in real life. then, two weeks later, just on a routine trip to the local guitar shop 6 miles away, i saw that one, in near-ish mint for £749. i played it and loved it immediately. it's strange how things just work out sometimes, isn't it?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
the ax murderer said:
she really does. first person to find me a white fernandes CD-100F wins a prize!
you could get the sustainer, pull the regular covers off and replace it with white covers for a rail-type humbucker
not sure where you'd get that other than a rail humbucker but thats the only suggestion i have lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks! all these posts have confirmed what i've basically been thinking all along. if the guitar was cheap in the first place because it wasn't original, then that means that original is best, right? as soon as i get some spare cash, i'll splash out on some pink Breeds i think. in the meantime i will try and decide whether i have the balls to fit them myself!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts