Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't know if a question like this has been asked... so here goes:

What is a modification or customization/custom build you're curious as hell about, but you're too afraid to do, or just don't have the money to commit such an act upon humanity? Something you're driven insane about and no one you know of has done it. Or maybe it's just a seemingly small mod that could turn into a disaster.

For example, something simple:

Scalloping your brand new Bad Horsie's neck (the whole thing) in your garage.

Digging out the middle pickup route with a screwdriver to hold another breed (I'd like to note that my stepfather did that to one of his guitars).

Or, something extreme:

Ever wonder what a solid titanium-body Strat would sound like?

Maybe you've done something like this, maybe you know someone who has... What have you thought of, seen, or heard?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Knightmeir said:
Scalloping your brand new Bad Horsie's neck (the whole thing) in your garage.
I did that with my 87 (my mom calls it vintage) RG550RFR, but I did it in my bedroom.
What am I afraid of doing to my guitars? umm..... uhh...... Let's see I've scalloped my GAX70, taken off the finish, and am routing it for a floyd, I've scalloped my petrucci and slimmed down the neck (just the cheap OLP one) and am turning it to a hardtail. I've removed the finish from the neck of my Fender acoustic, and am currently scalloping it's fretboard (first scalloped acoustic?)
The only things i'm afraid of would be intonating my Edge on the RG, or anything pertaining to my '66 Champ Amp :lol:

·
Registered
115 Posts
jemaholic said:
How about swirling my Marshall stack!
I wind pickups for fun and I've just had a bag of borax delivered last week - I'm going to swirl the bobbins on my next set of humbuckers for my blue RG570 before I wind them. I'll post pics when it's done if anyone's interested.

I've already added 2 DPDT switches to get series / parallel / coil cut on my current home made humbuckers. Drilling holes in the front of my old RG was a bit sad but I'd do it to any electric now after getting used to the new tonal options it offers. Just waiting on my new coil winder arriving.....

I really want to strip the paint off one of my guitars, and get my wife to paint a new design on but I'm too scared because I know nothing about relacquering and everyone I talk to says its a pretty toxic process.

Biggest mistake: reshaping my Strat neck to a more 'wizard' like profile. It was all going so well until I decided to speed things up with the power sander and sanded right through to the truss rod cavity! Not my finest moment....

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
112 Posts
i'm afraid of throwing my guitar mid-sky when beeing on stage.... don't think i would catch it......
as well as holding the guitar only with the trembar... i actually broke one...so thats why i'm afraid of it happening again....

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Knightmeir said:
What is a modification or customization/custom build you're curious as hell about, but you're too afraid to do, or just don't have the money to commit such an act upon humanity? Something you're driven insane about and no one you know of has done it. Or maybe it's just a seemingly small mod that could turn into a disaster.
geez, umm, anything, really!

given my skill level versus my grandiose plans for customizing, just about every aspect of modification scares me stupid.

i'd really like to add abalone binding/purfling to an RG, but have never done it before. heck, even the idea of routing out the channel for the binding gives me the willies.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I wanted to put a floyd on my OLP Axis last year, but never had the guts because I was scared crapless. It was a really nice guitar actually, and that was part of the reason really - I didnt want to ruin it. Apart from that, its not usually the "scared" factor that stops me doing things, its usually the money factor (lack of it) - lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.