Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've really been considering picking up an actual Fender Strat. Don't want to spend real money so I'd likely wind up with a MIM for $300.

I have 2 540-s, and was thinking of putting different pickups in 1 any ways (OL finish and maple neck). Thinking if I select pickups and wire with coil-splitting I could forget about a strat altogether.

It's an H-S-H guitar. Was wondering if anyone had recommendations on strat-izing a 540??

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Understood!

Definitely would just be a gap filler. I was going to put different pickups in this 540 anyways. Looking for similarity is all. If I could afford t go out and buy a nice American Standard strat, I would. I'd probably wind up with something that needed modifying anyways, and this would just save me adding another guitar to the mix.

Other alternative would be to sell/trade this 540-S. Not ready to do that yet I don't think.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, but i really don't want to alter the body - you know me and my unnatural affinity to natural mahogany.

was sorta thinking i could figure out good pickup options for coil splitting. i've already got a Duncan Alt8 which I've heard splits pretty nicely. my H-S-S saber splits and it sounds fine with the stock pickups. not really strat-like though.

i think if i were to put a single coil sized humbucker in the middle, i could have a mode of all split or all humbucker ... so i would run it in all-split for quasi-strat.

those humbucker to single coil conversion plates are a good idea, not real pretty though. maybe i go that route, and find some cost-effective strat pickups. if i'm spending a bunch of $$$ i might be better off just biting off the strat itself!

Hmm.... handy with a dremel? I have some good ides for you. Unsuitable for the OL finish though...

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Yes, the body shape and the name on the headstock makes all the difference in the world. Your S can only sound like an S, no matter what pickups/configuration you use. If you remove Ibanez and use write Fender with a marker, it will sound closer to a strat. True story!

On the other side. Change pickups and you can make it sound like a strat. Dummy coils can be one way to use a single coil in a humbucker routed body.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Classic Vibe - I haven't actually played one of those. Heard they are pretty good though. I played a few of the CV basses, and they seemed really nice for the $$$. Forgot about that line of the "Fender" family.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Honestly, "Strat-izing" is what I a going after on my custom 540R i'm building, the blue one.

I have a chopper, cruiser and AT-1 going into it.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Tough to stratize any HSH guitar but a split Stag Mag in the neck with that split Alternative 8 is a good start. I'd definitely get Triple Shot mounting rings so you can get either coil. I have a couple Sabers with Triple Shots and it's a great guitar for them. P-rails in an HSH with the pickups flipped around so the blades face the outsides is another good option.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts