Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im looking to spend around £500 on a strat and im wondering which models i should be looking out for.
should i avoid the korean models? they look like they are pretty good value for money if theyre built well.
preferably i would like 22 frets and a 2 point trem.
cheers.
p.s. pics are always welcome!

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I have a Korean Light Ash Tele that actually isnt bad. I replaced the jack, pots and wiring and it made a huge difference, but still I tend to stay away from Korean instruments, this one just had a great neck and its not my only Tele. Im not sure how all that translates into US$ and what the cost of Strats are there so I cant help much. Can you get G&L guitars there for that price? If so definately give them a look.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm G&L are cheaper than i had them down for. easily within my price range!
the legacy range looks perfect, like a strat only modernised.
any jemsiters got G&L experience?

·
Premium Member
9,591 Posts
I've gone through 2 or 3. The quality is awesome. Some people say it's on par with Fender's custom shop stuff. The main drawback for a seller is they dont seem to hold their resale value as much as a Fender, but thats good for you if you are looking to buy used. I had a Commanche that was awesome, I sold it to buy an EJ Strat, but I wish I never did.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I actually have a G&L Legacy (USA) that I might be willing to sell, I'm over here in the US though. Its a great guitar- the quality is awesome, I just honestly haven't picked it up to play in a while, and could probably use the money for somewhere else. If you're interested just PM me =)

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Starts are like any other guitar. You need to play before you buy. Some are duds, some are real players, etc...I drove all the way to Nashville to get my Strat that I had tried a few weeks prior while up there at Gruhn. I haven't played another one like it.

G&Ls are really good too.

·
Registered
129 Posts
theres always the highway strat or iif you can find one a usa standard second hand should be around 500 ish ive heard the highways can go for as little as 300 though i payed 470 for mine last year brilliant guitar plays like a dream (there usa made too)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the G&Ls seem like superb guitars, shame so few places stock them. soon as im off uni and home for easter ill head over to the stockist in oxford and lay my hands on some.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
G&L are great, but you don't find many over here and the US ones (e.g. not the tribute series) ain't cheap when you do!

But, £500 puts you well into used US Fender Strat price ranges. If you shop around you'd find a new one for £650.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
I regret selling a very nice G&L Climax XL :(

That one piece maple neck had a very comfortable shape, like a flattenned D shape. Smooooooth. ;)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Get a slightly used American Standard, if you are looking at buying a stock-ish Strat - the build quality of newish US Fenders is as good as it has ever been, and you get a really good two-point trem, big frets, a really nice neck and very good electronics - and best of all, it is actually a Fender Strat, not someone else's (no matter how good) take on the Strat. There's quite literally millions of 'em around, lots of colour choice, and your resale value will be better than anything else available - in fact, if you bought a used Strat and didn't take to it, I'd wager you'd sell it for the same as you bought it for.

Try that with a Ford Fiesta!!

·
Registered
834 Posts
I wonder why anyone on here isn't recomending the Levinson Blade strats? Are these not very popular in the States? I have a Blade Texas Standard Pro and I love it both unplugged and plugged in. It also has a build in active boost system that can boost either treble and bass or mid frequencies.
Here is a link: http://www.bladeguitars.com/guitargallery_texas.html#
and a quick phone camera pic I have of mine:

·
Registered
904 Posts
Shouldn't that amount cover a used American Deluxe as well? It's not the strattiest sounding strat ever, but it's a hell of a guitar. H-S-S (which may or may not be a problem to you), S1 switching, ebony board, roller nut, locking tuners etc. Mine came in at a bit less than that price, and I think prices are pretty comparable between here and the UK.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Shouldn't that amount cover a used American Deluxe as well? It's not the strattiest sounding strat ever, but it's a hell of a guitar. H-S-S (which may or may not be a problem to you), S1 switching, ebony board, roller nut, locking tuners etc. Mine came in at a bit less than that price, and I think prices are pretty comparable between here and the UK.
Those are very nice guitars. The store I teach out of is a dealer for Fender among other brands so I get to play lots of Fender guitars during the week. I do worry about the S1 setup. If I wanted to change pups I would have no clue how to rewire things with the S1. I really want a Deluxe Tele but I don't like a single in the bridge but with the S1 switching it seems like it would be a tricky situation to be able to swap pups out.

Once you change out the pups in a Highway One, those ar4 fine guitars for the $ IMHO.

Lots of places to buy Strat bodies and necks for a total custom (Warmoth ...YuMMMm!!).

·
Registered
904 Posts
Those are very nice guitars. The store I teach out of is a dealer for Fender among other brands so I get to play lots of Fender guitars during the week. I do worry about the S1 setup. If I wanted to change pups I would have no clue how to rewire things with the S1. I really want a Deluxe Tele but I don't like a single in the bridge but with the S1 switching it seems like it would be a tricky situation to be able to swap pups out.
Someone posted a picture of the inside of a S1 scratchplate not that long ago. Looked like the aftermath of an explosion in an Italian restaurant.... spaghetti everywhere.

Anyone played the new Fenders yet?

Edit: Timi h - http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73862

US deal only, but this seems to be pretty much in your price range? If I were you I'd really be inclined to go for a higher end used guitar than a new, cheaper one.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Someone posted a picture of the inside of a S1 scratchplate not that long ago. Looked like the aftermath of an explosion in an Italian restaurant.... spaghetti everywhere.

That's what I figured it would look like under the hood ;)

Which new Fenders are you referring to?

·
Registered
904 Posts
The 'reinvented' Strats, Teles and basses:

http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=227

I think it's a great idea. Some instruments had (and have) real magic - Fender have tried to isolate the reasons and build them in as standard. I'm interested in the small refinements they've come up with: saddles, bridge blocks, finishes. Done right, the Strat COULD conceivably be an even better instrument.

I hope they looked at their more off the wall versions like the Aerodyne and the flatheads as well - these had some magic touches.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Edit: Timi h - http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73862

US deal only, but this seems to be pretty much in your price range? If I were you I'd really be inclined to go for a higher end used guitar than a new, cheaper one.
yeah that is in my price range and ive come to your conclusion over the past couple of days, high end used over something from korea, indonesia etc.
im still going to wait til i try out a G&L before i commit to a buy first. im going to try and avoid buying overseas too if possible, import duty was quite a shocker when i bought my RG1527 on an internet deal from the states that looked really cheap but import duty and shipping brought it up to the same if i had bought it in the UK and i would have got it sooner.
cheers for the help guys!
the strat plus thread got me wanting one of them. too

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
The 'reinvented' Strats, Teles and basses:

http://www.fender.com/news/index.php?display_article=227

I think it's a great idea. Some instruments had (and have) real magic - Fender have tried to isolate the reasons and build them in as standard. I'm interested in the small refinements they've come up with: saddles, bridge blocks, finishes. Done right, the Strat COULD conceivably be an even better instrument.

I hope they looked at their more off the wall versions like the Aerodyne and the flatheads as well - these had some magic touches.
My local shop has about 7 or so of those Fender Strats and Teles. Some of those new colors are amazing in person. There is this Blizzard White color that makes me drool everytime I see it. I'm trying to keep my GAS pains down so I stay away from playing them much at all. They really rock, kudos to Fender. ;)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.