Ibanez JEM Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Well, there's really using the trem to accentuate a note or chord and dive bombing trem use. Often when you see someone in a bar band doing dive bombs it's because they have no other ideas on what to play :lol: A Strat doesn't do dives like that too well obviously, as it doesn't have the same amount of pitch change ability. So, it isn't a great dive bomb platform. But if you have a modern Strat with or without locking tuners you should be able to use the trem without throwing the guitar too far out of tune to finish the song. I never had a trem problem with my G&L S-500, which is a floater.

You don't want to get a Strat with a bridge like that one, really. The current standard 2 point trem is the way you want to go if you are going to use the trem much.
That's a Contemporary Strat with the Schaller made System 1 tremolo. Absolutely nothing to fear there. Parts are still available from whammyparts.com. My first electric was the same model in Lake Placid Blue. Wish I'd never sold it!

Still somewhat undervalued and incredibly well made guitars. The mid-80's Contemporary Series bridged the production gap between CBS era and the revised USA Fender production. They were made at Fujigen and featured some modern appointments.

They came in a variety of pickup configurations and with a 12" radius fretboard. The most obvious difference was the Schaller Tremolo systems - Systems 1, 2 & 3. S1 was the simplest (yet effective). S3 was rather more complex but (apparently) incredibly effective at staying in tune and could be locked as a fixed bridge too. I still want an S3 and keep looking for a nice example (at a reasonable price..).

I bought myself a replacement for my original Contemporary S1 a couple of years ago. This time I found a rather minty S2 with a HSS pup config. The S2 Tremolo is similar to the Freeflyte tremolo used on the USA Elite Strat. It's a sweet guitar with a lovely low action and great tone. Built like a tank. I definitely won't be selling this one.

In short, don't fear the mid-80's Contemporary Strats - just Fear The Reaper! :devil:

Well, part of the appeal of the Strat is its sound, and part of that sound is due to the huge chunk of wood missing from the body in the trem cavity. Whether the trem works or not is one thing, but the body on that is significantly different from a regular trem'd Strat. I'm glad you like yours but i still wouldn't buy one myself (which,of course, doesn't make it a bad guitar).

Agreed that mine is not the norm. I wasn't advocating the OP buy the same model, just not to be 'put off' by that S1 Trem (it's basically a two point floating trem and has great tuning stability) or the MIJ Contemporary range in general. .

Most Strats have a 'chunk of wood' removed to accomodate the Trem springs and block. The fact that it is at the back of most Strats and under the scratchplate on mine is unlikely to make much difference tonally IMO. I'd expect the pups to have most influence.

OP should visit a local Strat dealer and try a few out. He might bond with something that none of us would recommend.

You don't want to get a Strat with a bridge like that one, really. The current standard 2 point trem is the way you want to go if you are going to use the trem much.
That's a Contemporary Strat with the Schaller made System 1 tremolo. Absolutely nothing to fear there. Parts are still available from whammyparts.com. My first electric was the same model in Lake Placid Blue. Wish I'd never sold it!

Still somewhat undervalued and incredibly well made guitars. The mid-80's Contemporary Series bridged the production gap between CBS era and the revised USA Fender production. They were made at Fujigen and featured some modern appointments.

They came in a variety of pickup configurations and with a 12" radius fretboard. The most obvious difference was the Schaller Tremolo systems - Systems 1, 2 & 3. S1 was the simplest (yet effective). S3 was rather more complex but (apparently) incredibly effective at staying in tune and could be locked as a fixed bridge too. I still want an S3 and keep looking for a nice example (at a reasonable price..).

I bought myself a replacement for my original Contemporary S1 a couple of years ago. This time I found a rather minty S2 with a HSS pup config. The S2 Tremolo is similar to the Freeflyte tremolo used on the USA Elite Strat. It's a sweet guitar with a lovely low action and great tone. Built like a tank. I definitely won't be selling this one.

In short, don't fear the mid-80's Contemporary Strats - just Fear The Reaper!
What would be a reasonable price for a Contemporary Strat in excellent condition with the Schaller made System 1 tremolo? You seem to know these guitars well. Your post summed up everything I could patch together from the internet in a coherent manner.

The values on the Contemporary series are tricky and very much location/condition dependent.

I've seen System 1 models on Reverb at over $1000 US. Personally, I think that's too much, even for a 'case Queen'. I'd say $600-700 would be 'fair'. If you can find a minty original example for less than that just grab it. IMO you'll struggle to find a better value Strat. The single coil pups have great tone too.

Just to prove how variable it can be. There's a guy on YouTube talking about his S2 costing him $1100. Mine cost 60% of that and is immaculate.

I've spotted an S3 this morning that I'm keeping an eye on...

The values on the Contemporary series are tricky and very much location/condition dependent.

I've seen System 1 models on Reverb at over $1000 US. Personally, I think that's too much, even for a 'case Queen'. I'd say $600-700 would be 'fair'. If you can find a minty original example for less than that just grab it. IMO you'll struggle to find a better value Strat. The single coil pups have great tone too.

Just to prove how variable it can be. There's a guy on YouTube talking about his S2 costing him $1100. Mine cost 60% of that and is immaculate.

I've spotted an S3 this morning that I'm keeping an eye on...
Thanks for the information! I think the store with the S1 knows exactly what they have because it is priced inline with your condition/price assessment. The history behind the guitar does make it more interesting.
I hope you get your S3!

Tele bridge pick up?
When I get to play a strat i always seem to end up camped in neck and neck/mid position and never found bridge that usable. This is an interesting idea...
deedffs by Baris Sahin, on Flickr

How about this?

Tele bridge pickups get a lot of their bite from the baseplate. Duncan makes a Strat bridge pickup called the Twang Banger that will give you most of that Tele sound. Harmonic Design makes a pickup called the STP which will do the same as well. I'm sure there are others as well.
I know TB from duncan yet i havent tried STP. TB was pretty nice but if there is no limit for the structural modifications like carving etc. putting real deal is the best solution for me :)

I’ve found the easiest transition from Ibanez to Fender is getting a Strat with a 2- point bridge,
22 frets and the hotter pickups. I prefer rosewood boards with the single coils as it’s not quite as harsh.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
I went to the local store to check out a few today.

Mex ones sounded great but necks felt rough. After 20 years of only playing prestige ibanez just felt rough. Sharp fret ends..

The maple board necks seem to have this thick clear on them. I feel I'd need to take some very fine sand paper to them to get that played in satin feel..

Didn't stock any MIJ..
Will try a few MIA or a G&L next visit.

Mex ones sounded great but necks felt rough. After 20 years of only playing prestige ibanez just felt rough. Sharp fret ends..

The maple board necks seem to have this thick clear on them. I feel I'd need to take some very fine sand paper to them to get that played in satin feel..

Didn't stock any MIJ..
I don't know about your budget and interests but if you are not too obsessed with the brand name i suggest to find out alternative Strat (or S type) guitar builders. For instance Nash Guitars.

Q&A: Bill Nash of Nash Guitars - Darth Phineas

I have one and it is the best strat i've ever had/have and one of the best strats i've ever tried.

Discussion starter · #35 ·

Didn't stock any MIJ..
I don't know about your budget and interests but if you are not too obsessed with the brand name i suggest to find out alternative Strat (or S type) guitar builders. For instance Nash Guitars.

Q&A: Bill Nash of Nash Guitars - Darth Phineas

I have one and it is the best strat i've ever had/have and one of the best strats i've ever tried.
Those look fun. I'm not big into the look of relic'ing. (I mean i like them. But i wouldn't pay extra for the aesthetic)
But the playability changes they make look great!

They change exactly the sorts of things that slightly put me off buying a new strat.

I have traded my JS2450 for a Schecter Nick Johntson USA. The first model with Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot. And I do not regret of the change (I still keep my old RG550LTD that is a lucky piece of wood like no other super-strat I've ever played)

I can tell that it is an excellent Strat. Better guitar than my Fender American Deluxe Strat that I've been playing for 20 years

You could also try the cheaper "Diamond Series". Even NJ said that he cannot notice much difference.

edit:
the neck is suitable for shredding!

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.