Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright this thread shall be dedicated to my first guitar which "was" a black squier strat. Its been through sooo much haha. I originally rerouted it for a floyd rose, put on a fabric finish with paint (including matching headstock), and installed emg pickkups. Then I completed turned around and sanded it all back down, filled up the tremolo cavities with blocks of wood (poplar) and then made it a hardtail guitar, painted it metallic purple, emg pickups, and installed a brand new scalloped maple fender neck with 22 frets instead the already 21. Majorr transformation for this guitar haha. Im going to be posting a video of it like i did for my fireman project soon.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
alright the video is currently uploading on youtube! as soon as its done i shall post the link!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here is the youtube video i made explaining everything and is walking you through the entire project.

and then here is the sound/playing demo video of the guitar!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Dude that's amazing! :)

Would love to see more projects in the future, you'd be a great helping hand in these forums! :)

LOVE THE FIREMAN!

·
Registered
39 Posts
To be fair when i watched the first one you did i was like what a piece of sh*t...Then when i seen what you did to it on the second attempt i was impressed! It looks awesome :D

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To be fair when i watched the first one you did i was like what a piece of sh*t...Then when i seen what you did to it on the second attempt i was impressed! It looks awesome :D
haha i know! looking back on it i can really see how bad it was! but i learned alot from it like i said, it was a good learning experience. And now with how it is now, its one of my favs!!

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hey ryang, If you've got msn or something then I'd love to trade tips and tricks with you :)

I may buy another strat to respray myself after seeing that, how many coats of lacquer did you put on?

Also, Scallop it obviously ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey ryang, If you've got msn or something then I'd love to trade tips and tricks with you :)

I may buy another strat to respray myself after seeing that, how many coats of lacquer did you put on?

Also, Scallop it obviously ;)
Well i dont have msn, but you can always message me on here or add me on facebook or something!
As for the clear coats, for every project I'll typically use 3-4 cans of nitrocellulose lacquer. soooo....however many coats you get out of that haha.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
inb4robfreaksoutaboutthepurple...

anyway... Id...... be... emgs.... ugh... why.....

edit: fix that clear coat.... or send it to me to fix haha :p swirl heaven!!! haha

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
inb4robfreaksoutaboutthepurple...

anyway... Id...... be... emgs.... ugh... why.....

edit: fix that clear coat.... or send it to me to fix haha :p swirl heaven!!! haha
yeah that literally my second time ever clearing a guitar so its a bit rough, but i'm happy enough with it. I may redo it in the future but for now, its fine. And as for the emgs, i've always wanted at least one guitar with active pickups so i can have that sound if i ever wanted it. its all about the options!

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
yeah that literally my second time ever clearing a guitar so its a bit rough, but i'm happy enough with it. I may redo it in the future but for now, its fine. And as for the emgs, i've always wanted at least one guitar with active pickups so i can have that sound if i ever wanted it. its all about the options!
its a simple equation

wet sand + polishing compound + time + effort = flawless finsih

·
Registered
479 Posts
please let me know which pickups you're using, and how you like the sounds. I'm looking for some opinions on emg's, especially the single coil ones. Most of the youtube clips are either people going for high gain metal sounds, which emgs are pretty good at, or are trying to copy david gilmour:)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
please let me know which pickups you're using, and how you like the sounds. I'm looking for some opinions on emg's, especially the single coil ones. Most of the youtube clips are either people going for high gain metal sounds, which emgs are pretty good at, or are trying to copy david gilmour:)
i use an emg 81 and to emg s's. I do prefer passive pickups but these things are still a blast to play on, effortless to use, very high output, and the clean is very loud and "smooth". in other words, when i play heavy, they are definitely put out,but when i play clean or even just a little overdrive, they still standout and do thejob greatly. very versatile. downsides:...active pickups..haha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts