Ibanez JEM Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
MIJ Fenders are as good/in some cases better than the USA's .. there much more value for money than either mex's or usa's. If you were thinking of getting a mex, i'd stray out abit more and go for a MIJ .. it's worth it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
when I was in the market for a strat I played the mex and american strats back to back and the US strat was the better guitar hands down..
yes, it was double the money but it was more than double the guitar so if yo ucan afford it then get the uS one..
I also used a Tokai strat in the late 90's which was pretty good - if you can get one !!!

value and cost are not the same thing !!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Mexicans are great! I own one, it's a 50's Classic Strat and it's an extremely nice guitar and I was suprised how good it sounds even with distortion so in my opinion the pickups aren't crappy at all, pretty good I would say. Although I already had a problem with the volume knob but the problem is solved now. The guitar itself feels great, really comfortable to play and the maple fingerboard feels very nice.:)

I would say that an upgraded Mexican isn't far away from USA Strats, pretty close actually.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I've posted this photo of my upgraded mexi before, but any excuse ;)

Stock save for:
Neck repaced with US standard
Trem replaced with US vintage
Locking tuners
New pick guard
Dimarzio pups
Pots and switch from a Clapton Strat

I might replace the body at some point!

Seriously, Mex strats are great. I didn't like the early ones with their tiny frets and low mass trem, but the newer ones are fantastic.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts

Stock save for:
Locking tuners
New pick guard
Dimarzio pups

Seriously, Mex strats are great. I didn't like the early ones with their tiny frets and low mass trem, but the newer ones are fantastic.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
mi2tom said:
Newer mexican models are crap if you can get a hold of the older mexican strat that's good cos they're nearly as good as their american brother.
Mine is a Mexiacan made and I love it. It was made in 1999. I acquired it as a gift from my father for my 24th birthday back in 2000. Great guitar. 8)

Sadly though, my UV7PWH and the rest of my 7s get more played lately.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Ibanez249 said:
Agreed.

And if you're on a budget, pickup an early Jap Squier, I kid you not those things are great guitars especially for the price. Very solid!
Agreed. Check out Francis Dunnery on his white 80's Squier, he truly rips. The action on that thing must be heavenly!

·
Super Moderator
4,212 Posts
It has been some time since I have played around with a newer strat, but the older MIM strats were I believe popular bodies with small frets. The never MIM have alder bodies and the same necks as the US models. If I am not mistaken, Fender still builds all the MIM necks in Corona, CA. and then ships them to Mexico for assembly.

If you want a good "cheap" strat, an older MIJ Squire or newer MIM is a good choice. As long as you get an alder body, it really comes down to the neck anyway.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Algiman said:

Stock save for:
Locking tuners
New pick guard
Dimarzio pups

So the onlything Mexican about your strat is the body and strap pins? Not exactly a glowing endorsement for a MIM Strat. ;)

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
kirk said:
So the onlything Mexican about your strat is the body and strap pins? Not exactly a glowing endorsement for a MIM Strat. ;)
And the input jack! And the screws!

I was obvoiusly being tongue in cheek when I posted that.

Pre modding, it was a reasonable guitar, but it was an older one with the tiny frets and dodgy trem hence the major overhaul with bits and pieces I gathered over many years. If I bought a new mex, I'd leave the neck and bridge as is.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have found stratocasters to be just like anything else. If you find a good example, they are awesome guitars, no matter whether its American or Mexican made. Dont let the fact that the guitar is American made fool you into thinking that they are great guitars gauranteed. 8/10, a USA Strat will be a damn fine instrument, but just like anything else - its not always the rule. The QC is much better than Gibson though from what I have found.

But as people have said on these boards before, a good strat is a must for anyones collection. I think Fender offer quite a wide-rang too, plenty of choice around, especially colour-wise which is nice.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
the.godfather said:
I have found stratocasters to be just like anything else. If you find a good example, they are awesome guitars, no matter whether its American or Mexican made. Dont let the fact that the guitar is American made fool you into thinking that they are great guitars gauranteed. 8/10, a USA Strat will be a damn fine instrument, but just like anything else - its not always the rule. The QC is much better than Gibson though from what I have found.

But as people have said on these boards before, a good strat is a must for anyones collection. I think Fender offer quite a wide-rang too, plenty of choice around, especially colour-wise which is nice.
Im by no means a fender guru. But a friend of mine who i would consider one, suggest that when purchasing a fender to play around and try and get a decent neck shape, as he says often the necks usually just dont have the right type of bow (dont allow for the type of setup you would ideally want), and or just feel bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
mi2tom said:
Just my opinion though :roll: I've notice the older mex strat have got better and solid machine heads than the current mex strat and the pickups that they have in the older mex start rocks, surely the american strat beats all
Nope. Maybe, you should go out and try them out before placing any comments.

Like what the.godfather posted: "If you find a good example, they are awesome guitars, no matter whether its American or Mexican made."

One of the primary reason that a person would buy an American made Fender is due to resale value and the mentally of "Made in American" = better.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
I personally find the Japanese Strats to be the most consistent; the 80's and early 90's guitars are especiially nice guitars. But as has been said a number of times, just go out and play a few. The Highway 1's are pretty nice, and should be close to the same price as a new Mexi (though they'll have the same nearly sustainless bridge). A Mexican Strat can be a good guitar with just a few tweeks, but I'd budget to change the bridge and pickups. My Mexican has an American bridge, Carvin pickups, and a Charvel Model 1 neck with Earvana nut ;)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Chameleonfong said:

Like what the.godfather posted: "If you find a good example, they are awesome guitars, no matter whether its American or Mexican made."

One of the primary reason that a person would buy an American made Fender is due to resale value and the mentally of "Made in American" = better.
The tuning key design has changed. They were also at one time available with a knife edge based tremolo which i think has changed as well. Those two reason would lead to them not staying in tune as well.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
Chameleonfong said:

tried and tested!!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
I guess Fender Strats are one of those guitars you really should try before buying. I've tried a lot of good Strats and also some bad Strats. Highway 1 was the one I didn't like. It might be I just found a bad one but it felt cheap and Mexican Classic series Stratocasters played and felt better. For some reason I don't like American series Strats either, probably because of the modern C-shape neck. But American Deluxes and Artist series are great, best suff Fender is making nowadays in my opinion.:)

21 - 40 of 61 Posts