Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok iam new to tremolos, and iam trying to put a set D'Addario XL Nickel Wound Super Light Strings which i dont even know is right or not into a JEM7VWH 05 with an edge pro. I loosened all the strings so the tremolo could set and i can change the strings at the back. Right now i see 6 red things holding the ball on the string, 1 for each string. I tried experimenting but now to me its all confusing. Do I need to take the red things out and then slip the ball inside? After that what do i do? Tighten the saddle? Do i need to adjust the intonation? Does it matter if the ball is not perfectly in place since the saddle is tightened?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
no you do not need to take the red plastic thing out. I just put the ball end down inside them then tighten the saddle. Usually I'll keep a sock or t shirt under the trem so I can keep it at the correct angle then change all the strings at once. While you have all the strings off thats a good opportunity to clean up the fretboard. Hope that helps and good luck.....

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Scott 74 said:
no you do not need to take the red plastic thing out. I just put the ball end down inside them then tighten the saddle. Usually I'll keep a sock or t shirt under the trem so I can keep it at the correct angle then change all the strings at once. While you have all the strings off thats a good opportunity to clean up the fretboard. Hope that helps and good luck.....
I usually take them off in 3's (the shirt or sock ball still helps), which still allows me to clean up the fretboard and isn't as much of a pain as doing them all at once.

As for the red plastic thing, it's there just as an end for the balls to rest on. I usually push the string through so it hits it and lock the string in the trem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
red5 said:
I usually take them off in 3's (the shirt or sock ball still helps), which still allows me to clean up the fretboard and isn't as much of a pain as doing them all at once.

As for the red plastic thing, it's there just as an end for the balls to rest on. I usually push the string through so it hits it and lock the string in the trem.
yep thats what i did.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts