Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.. I blocked my trem with some wood.. just wedged it.. and I like it.. I'm so tired of messing with the floyd, although I'll say the floyd on this RG550 being an edge is definately better than any I've tried, I guess I'm not a floyd guy although I like using them.. So far, my brothers PRS is the best trem I've liked.. Anyway, I'm just curius what everyone thinks as a low action, medium, etc? I just measured my 24th fret string height.. From the top of the fret to the bottom of the string at the 24 fret it is like 3?16'' .. and just a tad higher on the small E.. I like it a tad higher.. Is that high? It's great, and the neck is straight with little or no bow.. I hate that spongy feel with too much bow.. I know it helps, but I didn't want to mess with the truss rod.. The pickup I found out was way too low.. I wasn't getting enough drive and my sound was fading while the guitar was still resonating. So I upped the pickup slowly and it was when I finally got it quite close that it seemed to be at it's best.. Usually in the past when I used hot pickups I always had them lower it seemed, but it's weird.. Some guitars are just difffernet I guess.. They never fail to teach me something.. Anyway, my bridge pickup which I use 99.9% of the time is measuring about an 1/8" or a little more or less away from the string bottom.. Is that too little?

Thanks guys..
Tim

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
hang on... isn't that the 550 you're selling to me?

if so, don't worry too much. i'll give it a set-up when i receive it. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Get a small ruler that measures in 1/64" increments. I have my high E set at 3/64", and low E is 5/64". I've played that exact same action for the past 10 years.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts