Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've got a Jem777vbk with a string height problem. The low E string is considerably lower than all of the other strings, and it's really annoying. I've attached some pics: two of the vbk, and one of my j-custom to show the difference.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can rectify this problem?

Cheers,

Craig

vbk string height smaller 2.jpg

j custom string height smaller.jpg

·
Banned
983 Posts
Just two notes here :
1) your bridge plate is not parallel to the body. You might want to fix this by adding some tension to the springs.
2) Are all the saddles supposed to be of the same height? If yes, then shim the low B saddle. Otherwise (as is often the case with floyds), it might be an out of order saddle. On mine, D is just a tad taller than G and A but this does not bother me.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just two notes here :
1) your bridge plate is not parallel to the body. You might want to fix this by adding some tension to the springs.
2) Are all the saddles supposed to be of the same height? If yes, then shim the low B saddle. Otherwise (as is often the case with floyds), it might be an out of order saddle. On mine, D is just a tad taller than G and A but this does not bother me.
I have my bridges at the same angle on all of my guitars. It is pretty much bang on parallel to the body. The Edge's base plate just doesn't make it look so, as it is sloped.

Yes, I believe all the saddles are supposed to be the same height, as all my other Ibanez bridges' saddles are perfectly level. By out of order, do you mean that the E string's saddle and another string's saddle may have been swapped around? If so, presumably two saddles would be at the wrong height, rather than just one?

Also, it's a 6-string so I assume you mean shim the low E, unless I'm missing some relevance to the B string here! :p

·
Banned
983 Posts
I have my bridges at the same angle on all of my guitars. It is pretty much bang on parallel to the body. The Edge's base plate just doesn't make it look so, as it is sloped.

Yes, I believe all the saddles are supposed to be the same height, as all my other Ibanez bridges' saddles are perfectly level. By out of order, do you mean that the E string's saddle and another string's saddle may have been swapped around? If so, presumably two saddles would be at the wrong height, rather than just one?

Also, it's a 6-string so I assume you mean shim the low E, unless I'm missing some relevance to the B string here! :p
You are right I meant low E, so, I guess you might go for the shim.

·
Vendor
26,452 Posts
Those are shims I have made. Ibanez only uses shims to radius a 430mm bridge to 250.

Check and make sure the lockdown screw washers aren't under the saddles

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Those are shims I have made. Ibanez only uses shims to radius a 430mm bridge to 250.

Well... seems the previous owner had a traumatic experience of some kind which resulted in five of the washers being underneath the saddles. Good call, Rich. Problem solved - lol.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts

LMAO!!!!

Whoda thunk it, right??:wink:

I thought I was the only one to have ever seen that happen (and do it myself :mrgreen:)....LOL. It must be at least a little more frequent.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts