Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never thought I would ask this question as it is a bit trivial. But can JEMsiters give tips on how to make the strings settle nicely around the machine head when restringing? For me, the string always seems to overlap itself on the post of the machine head.

I believe this is highly subjective and people often have their own habits of ringing the strings around the post of the machine head.

In additional, are there any differences whether acoustically or technically for the guitar if they are different? Possibly, less difference on a double locking tremolo.

·
Registered
253 Posts
use less stringage(if thats a word haha). string the full string through the bridge and take it to the machine heads. Take the string and put it through the actual machine head then measure one to two tuners up and cut it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
For me, the string always seems to overlap itself on the post of the machine head.
If you're guitar has a locking trem (and nut), then it doesn't matter.

I believe this is highly subjective and people often have their own habits of ringing the strings around the post of the machine head.
It's not subjective if the guitar in question doesn't have a locking trem/nut. Overlapping wraps cause tuning instability.

In additional, are there any differences whether acoustically or technically for the guitar if they are different? Possibly, less difference on a double locking tremolo.
There's no difference in the sound if they are wrapping neatly or messily. It only affects tuning if you don't have a locking trem/nut.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts