Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, I am currently having a problem on both my guitars, an Ibanez 350EX and a 2550EGK. They are both locking trems, and I can tune them both thanks to an online source which taught me a certain method. Recently, I have changed the guitar strings with fresh new sets, and after stretching the strings, tuning them, and locking each one down, I would try and play the guitars. If a string goes out of tune, I retune the guitar and play it again, and by then the guitar would have been perfectly in tune.

The problem is this: When it was time to put away the guitars, I wiped each string individually with a soft cloth to clean off the sweat and dirt, but whenever I did this, the three treble strings would go out of tune on both guitars! I am 101% sure that they were locked down, but just for good measure, I would retune the instruments and wipe the strings another time, only to find out that they were out of tune again! After a while, this problem would go away, but it would really save me time and effort to find out what is up with these b*+c#3$.

I have also noticed that the first two treble strings (the ones most affected) would have slightly "wavy" feel at certain points of their lengths. Maybe this has to do with string stretching, maybe it's something else. Any ideas?

BTW, I recently found out that wiping the strings unlocked until they don't go out of tune anymore would reduce the problem to an extent, but it doesn't seem to be enough.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have also noticed that the first two treble strings (the ones most affected) would have slightly "wavy" feel at certain points of their lengths. Maybe this has to do with string stretching, maybe it's something else. Any ideas?
does this only happen on strings that are quite old? and all at the fret positions?
my take is that when you press down on the fret, the string gets stretched over time and over time that phenomenon occurs

not too sure about the other problem(s), might wanna have your guitar sent for a checkup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Friction heats the strings when you wipe them with the cloth, which makes them go flat. They should cool & rise back to original pitch within a few seconds--try waiting 10 before checking the tuning. (Doing a few quick slides can also make a string go slightly flat.)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Friction heats the strings when you wipe them with the cloth, which makes them go flat. They should cool & rise back to original pitch within a few seconds--try waiting 10 before checking the tuning. (Doing a few quick slides can also make a string go slightly flat.)
this is exactly right ahaha its just because you wipe them and they go flat for about 5 seconds!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@teokiatuan: no, these are strings that came out fresh from the pack.

@bakerman & superhairycamel:The thing is, it doesn't come back to pitch. I have experienced that some strings do come back after a couple of seconds, but these ones stay detuned even after hours of waiting.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to get the guitars checked over the weekend.

·
Registered
355 Posts
is it possible that the locking nut is letting them slip a little? sometimes even if you crank down on em, then can still let the string slip. also, if you dont have enough wraps on the tuner post, they can slip around too. so, slipping string plus slipping lock nut could equal weird tuning stuff.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
With a locking nut the less wraps around the tuner post the better (well this is true with all guitars really, the less string wrapped around the tuner that has to stretch the better). I try to always keep the strings wrapped just barely over one time around the post.

·
Registered
338 Posts
@teokiatuan: no, these are strings that came out fresh from the pack.

@bakerman & superhairycamel:The thing is, it doesn't come back to pitch. I have experienced that some strings do come back after a couple of seconds, but these ones stay detuned even after hours of waiting.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll try to get the guitars checked over the weekend.
oh i see, in that case i would check the locking nut mounting screws for tightness and neck joint screws then look further

1 - 8 of 8 Posts