Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my JEM7VL-WH neck set up by RICH for tuning in D (DGCFAD) with D'addariostrings EXL 110 (010-046).
I will be doing a couple of concerts where the guitars will be tuned in standard E and I wonder if it's possible to use other size of strings that gives the neck about the same tension as I have when the guitar is tuned to D while using D'Addario EXL 110s?
The reason for NOT wanting to adjust the neckrelief as Rich has set the neck up just fantastic and I dont want to loose that amazing setup :)

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
there is some info out there on string tension. I think d'addario has lists info and i know for a fact it has been posted here on the jemsite forums. so do a search

as far as messing up your guitar(neck and relief go) i wouldn't worry too much about the neck, your trem wont be set up right and neither will your intonation. The guitar itself wont be messed up though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Change to 009-042. in E to keep the same tuning.
Your intonation might be slightly off,but tension will be the same so no tremspring or strussrod asjusment needed.
(in both tunings the stringtension will be about 60 kilograms)

·
Vendor
26,387 Posts
Truss rod is not a permanent adjustment and needs to be checked and adjusted anytime the environment changes. Just make note of where you like the relief, and you can always return it to that spot.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Truss rod is not a permanent adjustment and needs to be checked and adjusted anytime the environment changes. Just make note of where you like the relief, and you can always return it to that spot.
yeah man work those trussrods dont be scared.
funny that people do so much to avoid so little.

there is 5,000,000,000,000 tutorials on trussrod adj.
i use my trussrod like a tuner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts