Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dunno where else to put this thread, so it's going here.

what's the deal with strings aging quickly and losing their metallic snappiness? is it true that the longer a pack of strings sits in the pack, the quicker they degrade with playing?

playing 1-5 hours a day for like a week, a new set of strings is usually pretty "bleargh" by then and i end up replacing them, because they sound like complete crap and i get scared to do big bends because i know there's a good chance they'll snap or something. i dunno, i hate dead strings. they also get a bit tighter and they lose the smooth, "bendiness" of a new set.

i always keep my hands clean when playing (can't STAND dirty hands) and i clean the fretboard thoroughly with every restring.

generally, i try to buy ernie ball slinky's, 10-46, but if i go to a shop and they don't have them, i usually just get whatever 10-46 gauge i see first.

is there some brand of string especially suited to floating bridges or something? or am i just buying ancient strings or something?

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
I've tried every brand I could get my hands on - and the Ernie Ball Super-Slinkys work best for me. The NEW packaging for EB strings is completely seald from the air and the strings are the best I've played. You might want to buy a case online - now they won't go bad over time as they are sealed so you don't waste your cash.

~j

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've tried every brand I could get my hands on - and the Ernie Ball Super-Slinkys work best for me. The NEW packaging for EB strings is completely seald from the air and the strings are the best I've played. You might want to buy a case online - now they won't go bad over time as they are sealed so you don't waste your cash.

~j
yeah, i bought a set of 4 on the bay, they come in those sealed plastic things. oh well, i guess i'll have to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I believe the D'addario "E" series of strings ("E" stand for ecologically friend) come packed in a pouch which I believe is sealed from air. They're available is acoustic and electric.

·
Registered
355 Posts
i think you are just playin the crap out of em and killin em. that happens. if you are playin em for 5 hours a day for a week, that 35 hours on a set of strings. of course theyre gonna go dead. I use EB Regular Slinkys and they come in an airtight package. i change them when they wont stay in tune anymore. they last me about two weeks, but im only playin a couple hours a day if that.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i change em alot because i gig a fair bit too, and there is NOTHING worse (well, ok, there are a million things worse) than coming to a gig with old/half new strings.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
You might want to check out Elixirs. They last for ages, and seem to maintain their pop and sparkle way longer than other strings imho, plus they feel super slick.

Rock on!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you clean your strings after every use?

I have very acidic sweat that is murder on finishes and strings if I don't clean them thoroughly. The sweat starts breaking down the strings pretty quickly. And I'm not some kind of sweat hog that's pouring sweat all over my guitar. My hands don't feel wet or anything.

I've been using Ernie Ball wonder wipes after every use for about a year now, and they have significantly improved my string life, and kept my hardware finish looking brand new.

Big advocate of some type of string wipe!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
the brand doesn't make much of a difference, my strings are discolored within a couple hours, and what i consider 'dead' within a couple days

1 - 15 of 15 Posts