Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a set of strings I will forever use. They are the Dean Markley Yngwie Malmsteen 8-46 gauge. I have tried about 100 different sets of strings and these I love. I used to buy ernie balls 9s and 10s and i liked them but they didnt feel right so I went to 11s and 12s. I liked them but I want to get out of the box and I tried Dunlop, Cleartone, Black Diamond, Rotosound, Gibson, GHS, and many others and these feel perfect. I will never probably buy a different kind of strings than these. They wouldnt that much either. Like $3.50 $4. I play hard and I tune the same guitar in different tunings every time I pick it up. Right now They are sticking in D-standard.

Now for my picks comment. Again tried my different pick types, thicknesses, shapes and the Dunlop Toxex Pitch Black Jazz .60mm picks are amazing. I can get harmonics every time with them. My 2nd favorite is the regular tortex .60mm.

What kind of strings and picks do you use? I want to get your opinion to see if its just me being that I cant decide my mind or what.

·
Registered
379 Posts
WOW man!

We are pretty similar when it comes to strings.

I tried all gauges from 8 to 13 all tips of detuning and still ended up with YJM. They rule all day long.

When it comes to picks I play really thick picks. The thinest pick I use is 1.21 mm.

One month ago I still used a 1 mm pick. It was a satriani pick. Today I started using 2 mm and 3 mm. They are fastest and best sounding picks. The thicker the better.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I use the DR Extras in 9 Gauge. Red Devils and Black Beauties. Good stuff.

I'm using Dunlop Jazz II Stiffo Sharps right now, but I just ordered some V-pics as at that price I had to try them. We'll see if I ever order more. Haha.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use Elixirs .10's on all my guitars.. Cause I'm way to lazy when it comes to restringing and stretching my tremolo equipped guitars. lol

For picks I used to use Fender heavy picks. But after reading around this site it seemed everyone liked the Jazz III picks. I picked up a pack and now all other picks feel bulky and sound really "flappy" as opposed to the Dunlops.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts