Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished polishing the frets on my rg 770dx 1991. I put ernie ball coated strings on it and it is horrible they are so tight feeling and suck so bad. i usually use dean markley blue steel and are soft and loose feeling these ernieball strings suck . alot.

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I always found EB Super Slinkys to feel like playing with wet noodles and hated them because of the loose feeling. Never tried the coated strings, but even if they wertent EB coated electric strings don't interested me.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I played EB for 6-7 years and if I hadn't recently (a little over a yearish ago) made the switch to DR Extra's I'd still be playing them.

I tried Blue Steel's once and they were the worse strings I've ever played.

Proving once and for all that good strings is misnomer as it's entirely personally preference.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol axe. i guess your right. but in FACT the ernieballs are alot tighter feeling than the blue steels and the tremelo is tighter also.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have used EB SS for over 20 years. I never thought they were stiff feeling. They last forever and I never break strings. Like AxeHappy said it's all personal preference.

·
Super Moderator
9,696 Posts
Moving out of Off Topic.

Yeah I hate a tight G string.
Just slide it off her :)

But for flats (if anyone besides me ever plays them) there are TIs and then everything else. TIs are worlds better than what could be described as competition.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Anything lower than standard tuning (even Eb to an extent), I require a wound third. So I just custom make most of my sets ordering single string packs from Daddario. I personally can't stand Ernie Balls, never knew what all the fuss was about. I find them to sound exceptionally dull, and their premade packs just having weird gauges. Like those "Not Even Slinkys" with a .24 plain non-wound string for a 3rd. Damn thing sounds like a spaceship.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I tried the wound 3rd but they're terrible for me. They're tighter than the high e string and when soloing it feels like you're playing a 7 string without the top string.

I prefer light tops heavy bottoms (9-46 for e, eb), but I can play on any string gauge fine as long as they aren't blackened. *coughddarioscough*

·
Registered
498 Posts
Dudes!

Lemme tell you guy's some inside!

Lots of different brands come out of the same factory!

Most of the time the only differents is the packaging and the sales story.

like comparing m&m's ;)

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i crapp you not. i just put some fresh blue steel on and yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh , my guitar is back baby.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I've always used D'Addario 9's on whammy guitars and 10's on hardtails. I did try some Yamaha's cause they were on sale but ended up giving them away. Someone gave me a pack of Guild Pumping Iron once which were the most retarded strings ever as they has a flat piece of metal where the ball usually is. It gave me quite a laugh.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts