Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I witnessed the weirdest change that a new (or just good) string might have compared to an old one (or just bad). I have this uv70p, and before I sent to Germany for the known problems, I remembered it had killer harmonics everywhere. When I got it back and after all the repairs, it was quite good but the harmonics on the A string sucked. All the rest of the guitars gave better artificial harmonics on A. I was ready to accept it, when I thought of just changing the string. I changed the string and the harmonics came back just like that. I had read numerous posts by ppl who had the strings as the first culprit always to blame, I just hadn't witnessed this my self, in my 30 yrs long time with electrics. I had the other ibby ARZ800 with stock strings for 2 years, and I don't remember having any particular problem.

·
Premium Member
10,116 Posts
Today I witnessed the weirdest change that a new (or just good) string might have compared to an old one (or just bad). I have this uv70p, and before I sent to Germany for the known problems, I remembered it had killer harmonics everywhere. When I got it back and after all the repairs, it was quite good but the harmonics on the A string sucked. All the rest of the guitars gave better artificial harmonics on A. I was ready to accept it, when I thought of just changing the string. I changed the string and the harmonics came back just like that. I had read numerous posts by ppl who had the strings as the first culprit always to blame, I just hadn't witnessed this my self, in my 30 yrs long time with electrics. I had the other ibby ARZ800 with stock strings for 2 years, and I don't remember having any particular problem.
Yeah, there are some people out there that feel "strings are strings" and nothing more. In my experience- all strings have a different feel and tone to them. They can be pretty personal IMO. Not much different that choosing the right pair of shoes for yourself.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Strings make a huge difference if thats your thing (eg your style involves things like crazy harmonics ala Vai)....but they also might not make any difference at all as long as the signal gets sent (more ala dimeola or clapton).

As for me, I like to use EBMM, I think they are tops in all respects, especially with strings, there is a lot of interesting differences they offer in guage and feature, good ability to get harmonics and stuff, good for active pickups too. (supposedly proven to work best with EMG, which is why I got used to them, I used to be exclusively active except for my Ibanez's)

Every string is different, just like every guitar, and guitarist dude. Try different ones to find what you like, I get EBMM but D'Addarios are also great. Id rather buy EBMM but Ill take Daddarios too

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ernie ball are fine strings. I was a daddario player for nearly most of my life. NYXL that I recently tested performed very well on my Carvin DC135, with floyd. Anyways, I am not talk about string brands, gauges or even types. I am talking about a string which could easily kill harmonics!! The part I did not get, was that even if the harmonic came, it would not sustain to handle a bend on top of that. But also squeelies on pre-bended notes were dead from the start. Weird stuff!! In my 30 yrs as a player, this is the first time this happens to me. I had strings which got old and muffled, but nothing like that. If only I could just record one note with the old string... Most probably those guys in Germany wasted the A string somehow and then put in there whatever they found in their store, that is the only theory I can think of.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Did you happen to raise the action up even a tiny little bit when you changed strings or use a smaller gauge A string?

If the action is just a tad too low harmonics will not ring out and are harder to get. Since you mentioned prebend harmonics being hard to get, I think it might have something to do with your action height more than the actual string itself...

·
Banned
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did you happen to raise the action up even a tiny little bit when you changed strings or use a smaller gauge A string?

If the action is just a tad too low harmonics will not ring out and are harder to get. Since you mentioned prebend harmonics being hard to get, I think it might have something to do with your action height more than the actual string itself...
That was the first thing I checked with the old string. There was no buzz at all. More specifically I am talking about the harmonic at 17th fret, on A string. Adjacent strings could produce the 17th fret harmonics with no problem. I just changed the string and the harmonics came back. Also, now I have the action and relief silly low, and although harmonics do not ring as loud, they are still there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts