Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys use? I personally love Elixirs. They freakin' last forever. I made the mistake of buying a pack of polyweb Elixirs instead of nanoweb though and i slip off of em. Gotta remember to check the box next time!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm all over the map.

Jem - D'addrio XL120's 9 (stock)
Strats - GHS Boomers 10
Melancon - Elixer nano's 10 (stock)

I've tried Snake Oil rock formula on my Strats too - they're pretty cool.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
I like D'Addario and DR. I've tried Elixirs and they're not bad. Well, I've tried just about everything. But I just stick with D'Addarios or DR's.

·
Registered
116 Posts
D'Addario XL120 10s, not really interested in trying anything else at the moment :) I don't like 9s, the thinner strings sound, and make me feel, weak :)

·
Super Moderator
9,700 Posts
I use DRs on the 7's, D'Addario or Super Slinkys on the 6's, and TI -12 flatwounds on the hollows.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
What do you guys use? I personally love Elixirs. They freakin' last forever. I made the mistake of buying a pack of polyweb Elixirs instead of nanoweb though and i slip off of em. Gotta remember to check the box next time!
Ditto here, Elixir 10's with a .68 low B on my 7's, Elixir 11's on my strat, and Elixir Phosphor Bronze 11's, I think, on my acoustic.

They're pricey, but they last forever. I think I've gone as long as 8 months before on my UV, and while they certainly didn't sound fresh at the end, they sounded better than most week-old strings would.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I once had Elixirs on a guitar for 9 months before any discernible tone or feel loss occurred. They are indeed pricey, but Id rather pay 12 bucks and change my strings twice a year than pay 6 bucks to change em every 2 months.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My cRazY string assignments 8O :

D'Addario:
XL120's - 7DBK
XL125's - 7VWH, JS100, Strat, Revolver Pro (I tune the low E to D on three of these guitars, hence the slightly fatter top strings)
XL125's with an added a .056 - 7620 (low B tuned to A)
XL110+ - whenever I have a guitar tuned to drop C
XL150's - Takamine 12-string
Plus, I have a set of EJ33 folk guitar strings I'm going to try,(eventually) on my nylon string guitar, just to see how they react in recording compared to traditional classical strings.

Ernie Ball:
Super Slinky .009's - Les Paul (EB's just have a mean-ness to them on the Les that I like. However, I'm going to throw some XL120's on it next re-string and see how I like them on it now.)

And the weirdest one, my acoustic set:
Custom Set - 6 string Takamine acoustic. I assemble these myself. Nickel wound; .011, .016, .018p, .024, .034, .52 usually. Sometimes I swap out the lowest string for as light as a .046, and the .018p for a .020p. Depends entirely on what, and where, I'm playing at the time. Recording calls for the heavier strings, live I keep it pretty light on those two strings. Being that I put these sets together from spares, it's usually a mix of Ernie Balls and D'Addario's.

Yep, I am a string nut-job! I admit it.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
GHS Boomers GBCL (9-46) - RG3120
GHS Boomers GBL (10-46) - ESP EC-1000
John Pearse Bronze Lights - Breedlove acoustic, but hate them with passion. They're bright and sound good, but the tension is killing me and they're impossible to bend. Will switch to something else. Even D'Addarios that came with it were better.

Regarding electric strings, I've tried them all and came to GHS Lights and Custom lights depending on scale length. They're cheap and they feel the best to me.

·
Banned
91 Posts
Paul Reed Smith XTS series strings are the best strings made. I'm not just saying that. They really are. They sound better and last longer than any string I have ever used....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use D'addario .10's with a wound 3rd. MORE PEOPLE SHOULD USE A WOUND THIRD! If you look at the G strings equivalent on a piano, the string is wound, and when wound on a guitar, chords sound better harmonically, and the tuning problems with G's are non-existent. And no whining about bending wound 3rds, either, because it only adds .01 to the gauge of the string.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts