Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a peavey wolfgang special quilttop exp. This is the import model, and unfortunately the neck has a sealer coat of some sort on it. It appears to just be clear coat, but im getting tired of it, and would really like to remove the finish from the neck *and* fretboard. Ive removed the finish on other guitars, but never had to deal with the fretboard work before so I need some step by step stuff for stripping a maple neck. Will 0000 steel wool work fine, or will I need something else?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Steel wool should work, but you risk a few things, in my opinion.

#1, you might rub the frets down (a little risk)
#2, the finish on the fretboard protects it from your finger's oils, dirt, etc. If you remove the finish, you're playing with the potential to have a grimy looking board within a few months.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ibateur said:
Steel wool should work, but you risk a few things, in my opinion.

#1, you might rub the frets down (a little risk)
#2, the finish on the fretboard protects it from your finger's oils, dirt, etc. If you remove the finish, you're playing with the potential to have a grimy looking board within a few months.
All the usa wolfgangs come stock with an unfinished neck. Thats actually the feel and look im going for. I actually like the look of a played in maple board, with lots of finger rub on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts