Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, i own a 7620.. with stock pups and replacement neck by warmoth. not long ago i traded my fender 212r with a JCM2000 dsl201.. i tried it with the ibanez, its like a water and oil.. wont sound good together.. i tried many possible setups.. from low bass, high mid, low treble up to the point where i turn all the knobs to max.. it doesnt sound good at all.. but when i plug in my fender strat.. it sounds beautiful.. could it be the JCM2000 isnt ibanez's friend? that's why im selling it to get a flextone III instead. but to make sure, i wonder whats up with it.. could it be my 7620's stock pups that made it sound bad or the marshall just dont match up with ibanez...btw i just replaced the tubes with marshall stock tubes..

:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Not sure man, Ibanez & Marshall is a sweet pairing.
Hard to say why you're getting a bad sound, but no way in hell would I trade a DSL in for a Line 6.
Lo bass, hi mid, and low hi will sound like **** even if you're playing a 59 Les Paul thru it.

Did you re-bias the head when you changed tubes? And which brand did you install?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the The JJ EL84's and ECC83S from eurotubes..

btw lo bass hi mid and lo hi was just a starting point.. i turned the knobs 10x360 degree already.. and still.. i guess i just didnt like it.. im not trading it i just want to sell it and get the flextone.. and save the rest on pups :) hopefully

thanks man for the responds

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
about 3-4 months.. yeah i'll try to live as i wait for people to make offer for it.

i should try it with different guitars..

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
How did you get the 25" scale Warmoth 7 string neck to intonate on the 25.5" scale RG7620? That's 1/4" difference from the neck heel to the bridge. where the bridge needs to be closer to be correct....

Or did you go for the 28 5/8 neck? Either way you're messing with the intonation of the instrument.

·
Registered
285 Posts
hi guys, i own a 7620.. with stock pups and replacement neck by warmoth. not long ago i traded my fender 212r with a JCM2000 dsl201.. i tried it with the ibanez, its like a water and oil.. wont sound good together.. i tried many possible setups.. from low bass, high mid, low treble up to the point where i turn all the knobs to max.. it doesnt sound good at all.. but when i plug in my fender strat.. it sounds beautiful.. could it be the JCM2000 isnt ibanez's friend? that's why im selling it to get a flextone III instead. but to make sure, i wonder whats up with it.. could it be my 7620's stock pups that made it sound bad or the marshall just dont match up with ibanez...btw i just replaced the tubes with marshall stock tubes..

:)
You're a big boy now. You need new pickups. :) Trust me. When going through a tube amp the pickup quality becomes a critical issue. I don' tknow if they make 7 string models, but a Seymour Duncan JB seems to cover everything.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did you get the 25" scale Warmoth 7 string neck to intonate on the 25.5" scale RG7620? That's 1/4" difference from the neck heel to the bridge. where the bridge needs to be closer to be correct....

Or did you go for the 28 5/8 neck? Either way you're messing with the intonation of the instrument.
i'm not sure, i bought it like that..

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62261

check the thread out..

@bdk: yeah i should give it a shot, i was thinking of getting evo 7, d-sonic 7 and air norton 7

maybe they'll help. i wonder if blaze is any good?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Warmoth doesn't put a SN# like that on their necks, they brand them at the heel with a turtle logo.
Like this:
http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_...itemNumber=7SN31&subMenuItem=0&subMenuItem2=0

I was gonna say that the intonation issues would make the guitar sound bad through anything, but that's more likely a stock neck with a weird SN#.

So, all that aside, the stock 7620 pickups are pretty mudding IMO, new ones might help. You might also want to consider s TS9 or SD1 as a boost, lots of guys tuning down and/or using 7s rely on them.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Warmoth don't make Ibanez replacement necks with the Ibanez headstock...

What trem is on the guitar? I'd be guessing you actually have a Korean made 7420.

I would also suggest that the reason why your Ibanez isn't sounding so good through the Marshall is the pickups.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

What trem is on the guitar? I'd be guessing you actually have a Korean made 7420.

I would also suggest that the reason why your Ibanez isn't sounding so good through the Marshall is the pickups.
But they do have custom headstock options :)

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

there.. its the same trem as my 550.. so im guessin it is a 7620..

maybe im wrong.. should ask rich about this matter..

and yes im plannin to get new pups :)

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You're right, it's a 7620. For you own reference, the "New 7" pickups that came in these were described by Dimarzio as being similar to a Super Distortion(Bridge) and Super 2(neck).

$20 says that neck is stock. Who would go to the trouble of putting the "RG Series" part of the decal on a replacement neck? Never mind that everything from the dots, to the frets, to the truss rod screams stock Ibanez.

It's just got a weird serial number. :lol:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yeah sounds like a pickup change would be the best thing to try. I had originally thought this guitar came with Blazes, but apparantly, that's not the case. You may want to try those. They sound great!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for the tips!

new pups time! dsonic 7 on bridge, air norton for neck.. how would that sound? what kind of character is blaze? how about evo 7? im not sure.

thanks

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
new pups time! dsonic 7 on bridge, air norton for neck.. how would that sound?
I can vouch for the regular D-Sonic; it's an odd yet versatile pickup. Senses pick attack/dynamics; if you pick light, it sounds pretty, if you pick it hard, it sounds like a beast. If the 7-string version's the same, I'm pretty sure the low B will crush some organs :) PM me for a D-Sonic clip I did.
Haven't tried an AN or AN7 though...

what kind of character is blaze? how about evo 7? im not sure.
Listen to any album that uses a stock UV, that's THE scooped-mids sound of the Blaze. I have an Evo7 on my UVGR and it screams, growls, and thumps although its focus is towards the mids and treble... It's not ballsy like the D-Sonic on my 550 but that's not what the Evo pickups are about :)

Reg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts