Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a bit confused, 2 days ago i went to guitar shop and try some guitars
some of them is out of stock.
I tried 2007 Jem7vwh alder body rosewood fingerboard, Carvin Boltplus C ebonu finger board alder body and american fender deluxe ash strat maple fingerboard ash body(?:D).
both guitars seems ok
but i stuck in between strat and jem.
i need your opinions
fenders usa price is 1200$ @ ***************, in here its 1900€
and also jem is about 2500$.
I really like strat but i dont know something is missing.
And jem's rosewood fingerboard seems uncomfortable but i dont know maybe strings are old and fingerboard really dry.
I wanna guitar that fits every style. rock metal pop jazz blues etc.
I need your opinions.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
A few questions for you....

1. How familiar are you with double-locking style tremolos?

2. In terms of body weight alone, which guitar do you prefer?

3. How uncomfortable was the fretboard to you on a scale of 1-10?

Personally, I would try a JS1000 if I were you. The reason why I suggest that is because the neck profile on the JS is very close to that of a strat, so if your hands are happy when you play the strat, they won't feel uncomfortable when you play a JS. The Jem is a versatile guitar but those Evo's are quite loud and aggressive while the JS is more flexible in that aspect.

I'm not trying to change your mind or create more confusion, the only reason I brought up the JS was because the similarities to a strat are closer than those of a Jem.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have a Fender US Strat and a Jem7v.To be honest if I had to get rid of one of them I dont know which it would be,saying that Ive had the strat a long time and in that time other Jems have come and gone as well as Les Pauls and a Prs.I believe both are versatile,but the Jem is less than convincing with the strat tone if played side by side.
My advice would be if you really like the Jem to go used and get both.Used Strats go pretty cheap,but if it has to be one get the Strat.Im sure many people may disagree but thats my opinion.Hope this helps :p

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A few questions for you....

1. How familiar are you with double-locking style tremolos?

2. In terms of body weight alone, which guitar do you prefer?

3. How uncomfortable was the fretboard to you on a scale of 1-10?

Personally, I would try a JS1000 if I were you. The reason why I suggest that is because the neck profile on the JS is very close to that of a strat, so if your hands are happy when you play the strat, they won't feel uncomfortable when you play a JS. The Jem is a versatile guitar but those Evo's are quite loud and aggressive while the JS is more flexible in that aspect.

I'm not trying to change your mind or create more confusion, the only reason I brought up the JS was because the similarities to a strat are closer than those of a Jem.

Jimmy:smile:
Let me answer :)
1. i was playing an '97 rg 270 with evo on bridge and AN on neck which stolen :) im familiar
2. body weights similar or fender a bit
3. im not really sure what the problem is but i felt that there was a problem.
maybe strings are old maybe guitar is not setup. string action is higher a bit.
i dont have a problem with neck profile. i like ibanez's neck profile.
but i do some bends etc. i felt that there was a problem i dont know :D

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Fender US Strat and a Jem7v.To be honest if I had to get rid of one of them I dont know which it would be,saying that Ive had the strat a long time and in that time other Jems have come and gone as well as Les Pauls and a Prs.I believe both are versatile,but the Jem is less than convincing with the strat tone if played side by side.
My advice would be if you really like the Jem to go used and get both.Used Strats go pretty cheap,but if it has to be one get the Strat.Im sure many people may disagree but thats my opinion.Hope this helps :p
guitar prices, especially fenders are too high in here!.
i felt in love when i first heard strats clean sound on a fender amp.
I tried Jem on a JCM600 and i sounded teribble.
But i know how jem sounds like cause its no problem.
I have marshall dfx30 amp and im going to buy a floor processor
pod live xt or gt8.

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
I started on a strat. After several years I finally got a Jem. Felt a bit strange at first, but once I got used to the difference I fell in love. (big time) The main thing I've noticed is that you can do anything on a Jem. Any trick, anything, mainly because of the trem and the extra frets. You CAN'T do anything on a stock strat and in fact I feel quite limited on a strat nowadays. ;)

For that reason alone (limitations) I will NEVER go back to a strat over a Jem.

My mum always told me to never say never, lol, but in this case I think I'm pretty safe:)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree with funkdubious.
But jem has got more things to play :)
as a second guitar strat will be good

·
Registered
63 Posts
The problem is that both guitars are very good at what they do. A fender strat has a classic sound thats has to do with the position of the neck pickup and the relatively low output of the single coils once you get over a certain amount of output in the pickups you lose that chimey clean sound also on a 22 fret guitar the neck pickup is right under the imaginary 24 fret where the harmonics are-this is the reason no matter how well made or expensive a 24 fret guitar you get you're never going to get that cool SRV, Jimi, Robin Trower sound out of it-its the nature of the beast. The fenders also have a much more curved fretboard radius than a Jem.
A Jem is a much more modern guitar-locking tremolo system, 24 frets, humbucker/single/humbucker setup, a very wide flat neck. The reason the Jem felt bad may be the flatter neck-it allows much lower action without buzzing and lets you bend way higher without fretting out but is much harder to play chords on-I have a Jackson with a 12" radius neck-flat as can be and it took a while to get used to it. This is like comparing a Mercedes to a Ferrari-there both great but serve very different needs. The Jem you tried may just need a setup. You can use position 2 and 4 on the pickup selector on the jem and get some very fender type sounds-it'll fool most people. If you're going to use a modern sound with a lot of gain-the strats gonna need a pickup change or get ready for lots of howling feedback

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
This is like comparing a Mercedes to a Ferrari-there both great but serve very different needs.
Exactly ;) And don't get me wrong, I like strats. If the Jem hadn't come along, I'd still be playin one;) But it's too hard to go bck now because (as Rick said, the Jem is more versatile) Plain and simple fact!

I used to really like the fatter more D shaped neck of the Strat. Now it's feels weird as well :roll:

Really, it's all just a matter of opinion and WHAT kind of music you want to play. But keep in mind that you CAN plays blues on a Jem, where as it's far more diffucult to all out shred on a stock strat. (I said STOCK strat folks:D)

Look out...here come the Yngwie lovers:lol:

BTW - funk, try the Breeds over Evos (mid pos) for more bluesy tone;)

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
If you still had strats Jim you would have to change your name to "SSTRATTERR777" :razz:

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it though :D

·
Registered
8,373 Posts
If you still had strats Jim you would have to change your name to "SSTRATTERR777" :razz:

Doesn't quite have the same ring to it though :D
Lol...actually it'd be JSTRATTER777 :lol:

Hey wait a minute8O....I kinda like that!! Anybody want to trade a strat for a Jem:razz:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I got some Ibanez'es and a Fender American Vintage '62 Reissue. Nothing can replace the sound of a real Strat! That's imo a different world of feeling, playability and last but not least, sound! You have to get both. (;

A Strat is imo a "must have guitar".

..and i love her!

grüße :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've got a Strat (a dual humbucker USA model) and a Jem7vwh and like folks have said they're both great. So it's a tough call...and speaking of Squier '51's, I modded the hell out of mine (including a new neck) and it's one of my favorite guitars now - at a mere $200.00 the thing rules.

Don't rush it. Play around with some more guitars until you find the one that says "take me home"!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts