Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just happened a few days ago. I just moved to a new apartment in Shanghai. A lot of stuff I brought over from the States, including my guitars, recording gear, and my xBox. Most of the stuff are multi-voltage, multi-frequency (50/60 Hz) so I don't really need to worry about voltage compatibility. But this is exactly the problem. I am so used to devices with International voltage capability. Noooo, not my xBox.

I have a 220 to 110 stepdown transformer which I bought specifically for my xBox. I just bought a 32" LCD TV and I am so excited to play DOA Ultimate on this bad boy.

The TV is all set to go. I plugged the transformer to the power strip. Then I took the xBox cable and ALSO plugged it into the power strip. Bamm!

You know, sometimes when you are too focused on what you are doing, your mind just bypass a certain parts of your brain, and by the time you realize it is just too darn late...

I toasted the xBox power supply alright - well cooked. Smoke coming out of the exhaust fan. Good job Dave, way to go!

Well, I just ordered a replacement power supply (a multivoltage one) and I just hope the rest of the hardware is still working after I try to replace it. Will find out next week when the part arrives.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I did a similar thing to a pc power supply.

I was fixing a PC, and obviously I was chugging a few beers. I reached round to turn the machine off, and flicked the voltage from 240 to 110. BANG, blus flash, sore hand, knackered motherboard, memory and graphics card.

Doh.

I feel your pain brother.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
It'll work with the new power supply. We had tons of people blowing power supplies in XBOX's and computers when I was in Kuwait. You'd be amazed at how smart people become with electronics when they have limited ability to fix things... it's funny as hell, and even better, they get things to work : )

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
i wish i could undo that wild night with the three sheep, two chickens and a mule.......

seriously though, that is always the way it goes - 20/20 in hindsight.
if i could only remeber where i left my time machine?!?
i brought a defective Xbox back to point of purchase (sound problems) but didn't save my memory on a card. i had many hours of game saves lost - aaarrrggg! at least my mistake only cost me time and gray hairs.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This one time, I was playing Shenmue on the Dreamcast, that's right, if you don't like Shenmue or the Dreamcast, I say to you, I disagree with you. Anyway I was playing and my older brother came in and was angry about something, I said something to him and he stopped on the Dreamcast, which hit the open button, made the disc fly out and spin around on the floor. Disc 2 didn't work anymore. Another one on a very similar topic, I once loaned my Dreamcast and Shenmue to a friend of mine. This kid isn't very bright mind you. When I got it back, disc 3 no longer worked, I had to go out and buy another copy of Shenmue, even though I had already beaten the game probably 3 times. Brothers and dumb friends, can't get enough of em.
Galen.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
guitarshredder7 said:
damn brains of ours i fried a tube amp by turning it on with out a cab, pretty anxious i was.
I melted a tube by overdriving the input too hard....

that or unscrewing a woman :p

·
Registered
107 Posts
I bought a 90 Jaguar Vanden Plas, a little over a year ago. I've dropped over $12,000. into it. And now it needs a head gasket, new shocks, and a few small things. I'm just thinking of what i could have put that money into.

Oh, ... if anyone wants it ..... I'm selling it for $500. .... just to get it out of my life.

Later, Jeremy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I made a milkshake the other morning. I was so excited, i was like, yes this is going to taste so good. I took the shake and poured it all over the counter and blender engine, don't even ask me how. I was just, uhh, well, what?? No milkshake.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
well currently can't think of any ... Will Post it if I remember ... I'm sure there are stupid things which I've done that I've forgotten :)

·
Registered
343 Posts
nickcoumbe said:
I did a similar thing to a pc power supply.

I was fixing a PC, and obviously I was chugging a few beers. I reached round to turn the machine off, and flicked the voltage from 240 to 110. BANG, blus flash, sore hand, knackered motherboard, memory and graphics card.

Doh.

I feel your pain brother.
I did exactly the same stupid thing with my computer last year.
No alcohol involved though so I have no excuses...
It went boooom...I was lucky enough to be able to rescue
the hard drive...but the rest was fried.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
AndersPGM said:
I did exactly the same stupid thing with my computer last year.
No alcohol involved though so I have no excuses...
It went boooom...I was lucky enough to be able to rescue
the hard drive...but the rest was fried.
Sucks man, nothing like going out and buying all new hardware and waste a bunch of money ;).

Regards

André

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I was setting up my gear for a show at a bar called "Slugger's" in Chicago.
Dimly lit place, in a rush as we were late in setting up.
I'd set up my rig a thousand times before, but for some reason I was working over my amp and leaning over it from the front, to access the cables, welp, in hooking up what I thought was the amp FX SEND I plugged in my fave delay (MXR Digital Time Delay) to the 4 Ohm speaker out. so I finished up the loop, plugged in my guitar and turned on the amp. Hmm... No volume, lets crank it up... Hmmm, STILL nothing... *sniff sniff* Uh oh...
Cooked the whole output section on the delay. That was my only real effect I brought that night, we were playing a lite set so I didn't think I'd need anything else.

I was able to repair the delay, but man, just taking a fe extra seconds to walk around the BACK of the amp instead of trying to wire upsidedown and backwards would've saved me a lot of annoyance.

Bamm

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Nothing recent, but when I was a kid, I did loads of dumb stuff I now regret.

The one that sticks out the most was really not my fault. I had just come home from seeing the Exorcist. Creepy movie to see when you're 12 years old. I was walking up the alley from putting the trash out for the night, when someone jumped out from behind a tree, hollered BOO! and accidentally poked me in the frickin' eye. Really hard. It hurt like hell and my vision was blurred. I thought I was being jumped and it was very dark, so when I turned back around, the alleged attacker got a knuckle sandwich. Right in the mouth, as hard as I could punch. The next thing I knew, my 11 yr old sister Joanie was sprawled out in the alley, blood pouring from her lip and nose. She was almost unconscious and I knocked 2 of her front teeth loose. Big bully I was. :(

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
An update...

The aftermarket power supply arrived... weeks ago. But I don't have any Torx screwdrivers! Went out to look for some but I couldn't find any. I am sure they are available in Shanghai, I'm just not too familiar with this town even I've been here for a year now.

Finally I got the tools and changed it out last night. Thank God the only thing damaged was just the power supply. My xbox is alive again! Woohoo!

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
David Ho said:
An update...

The aftermarket power supply arrived... weeks ago. But I don't have any Torx screwdrivers! Went out to look for some but I couldn't find any. I am sure they are available in Shanghai, I'm just not too familiar with this town even I've been here for a year now.

Finally I got the tools and changed it out last night. Thank God the only thing damaged was just the power supply. My xbox is alive again! Woohoo!
Congratulations. :wink:

I wish I could have started playing guitar when I was younger, though.

·
Registered
368 Posts
ha. screwed up trying to be cool in school by sitting on a motorbike without a helmet & got caught by the cops right in front of my school gate when classes were over. oh boy, you should have seen the looks on their faces.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts