Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...ever heard of the stylus guitar picks by jim dunlop?...supposedly they teach you to pick correctly. anyone have any experiance with these?...obviously if someone wants an ultimate machine gun picking hand they have to practice for hours but if this tool helps correct common problems its worth checking out...any opinions?

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

I bought those when they 1st came out. Ummm... Crap !
Don't buy into the hype. I tried and tried to use them, its good for single string use, but beyond thet, you're very limited as to what styles you can use it on. I paid initally about 10.00 for 2 picks and a booklet and I practiced for hours with that thing. I didn't think it helped my picking ability, nor did I play faster with it. Your best bet?
Guess... ;)

Bammbamm

·
Registered
80 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

I also got one of these a decade or so ago. IMHO, not worth the technology. However since I spent mony on it, it did make me practice. :)

If you get one, note that you can only use it for single note runs and not for triads or cords or octave runs. :-(

The money may be better spent on a lesson that deals with speed picking or even a book/video thingy.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

Hey guys, the Stylus picks were not developed for anything outside of improving single string picking. What they do is teach you to choke up on the pick so there isn't a ton of the end sticking out. Read the book again, it mentions this very fact. It also says it is not used for playing chords. In a playing situation you're right, they are totally useless picks, but if you honestly, HONESTLY practice with them they are a great asset. I used them for speed picking exercises for years and they truely were great. Now when I play with a regular pick (I use the Dunlop stubby 1.00mm picks, not really regular but very fast) I can fly without the "extra" pick end hanging out. They Stylus picks also really teach you control over artificial harmonics.
I think they're great and if you use them for their intended purpose you will get a lot out of them, but that's just my opinion.
The bottom line is, while $10 might seem like a lot for picks, compared to the $$$ spent on guitar lessons, tab books, GUITARS!!!, $10 is not a lot and if you use them for their intended purpose, not taking them gigging with you, you should never lose them so $10 is worth it to me.
Just my $.02
Jeremy

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

I think they are great,,,,,

The stylus pick is only used for single string picking..

I used it alot on all my exercises. It is great to use and really gets your alternate picking in shape....

where did you find it????

I would like to get my hands on a set..... I used it some time ago.... I would love to get it again with the book

please e-mail me any info you have on where you got it....

thanks
Rob

·
Banned
338 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

I bought acouple a few years ago and spent tons of time practicing with them. They can be frustrating at first, especially if you are used to holding a pick towards the top end. they grab the strings when you do this. But with practice, they deffinately improved my technique. The big question is if I had practiced the same amount with my usual picks would I have improved the same? Probobly, but they were cool enough to hold my interest. I can't imagine gigging with them... maybe if you turned them around and used the top of the pick... LOL :biggrin:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stylus Guitar Picks

thanks for the opinions but one more quick question...when you say single string...does that mean no 3 note per string runs or chromatics going from the low E to the high e?...like absolutely no string changing is suppose to be practiced when playing with these things?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

Andrew...

you are supposed to use them playing scales.... fiinger exercises, arpeggios... anything that you use alternate picking for with a regular pick etc.....

ps where can i get them???

thanks
rob

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

Man I wish I knew there were so many guys that would have wanted these, one of the local music stores in town went out of business and had like 15 packs of the Stylus picks. I bought 10 of them for $4 Canadian per pack (4 picks and a book per pack) and gave them to my guitar friends at christmas.
I'll take a look and see how many I have left, I used to have about 20 of the damn things, if I find a few extra's I'll let you know.
Jeremy

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

I agree with Jeremy, They are a great tool for practice only! That's what they were designed for. I used them many years ago, and they helped me a lot!!! It does take 100% focus and dedication to master using the Stylus through your daily practice schedule. Very worth the work!! IMO...

I still break it out for a Heads up on my picking from time to time...:)

late!!!
RJ

·
Registered
554 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

From what I remember, it's a pick with a conical (cone-shaped) tip that kicks you in the butt if you try to get lazy with it. :shocked: I'm wishing that I had picked up a pack when they were available.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

They are still available, the local shop in town here even has them? whooh! thats is weird?
They are fun,,and do kick ya if you lean or use to much or the pic. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Stylus Guitar Picks

I know I'm pulling up an old thread but just an update...I just got mine with the book and they really do kick yourself in the ass if you pick wrong! I just got them today so I don't know if they'll really work in the long run but the idea is there. I also noticed I'm forced to use a really light touch. The book encourages a totally relaxed picking hand which is something I have to concentrate on. After a month of practice I'll tell you how much I benefit from them.

For those of you interested in getting these picks or finding out more go here: *http://www.styluspick.com/

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

ive heard of these picks and heard they were wonderful for single string speed work. A few years back I met up with this guy who taught classical guitar and jazz professionally at a college. Really strange guy, but the point was he hooked me up with some Dunlop jazz 3 picks. These are in my opinion the best pics you will ever ever ever ever use. They take alot of getting used to. They are quite small. i suggested getting the black ones since they are coated and you can hold em better. I have this theory about speed that if your pick is rounded at the tip and bends then your brain has to make up for that. Well the Dunlop jazz 3 is EXTREMELY thick and sharp at the tip, which is good for trem picking and pinch harmonics come out way better than any other pic Ive used (I really have tried em all) Thanks for the time

·
Registered
85 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

I second the Jazz III's, i used to use Dunlop 1.14mm, then tried out the jazz III. What a difference (for me anyway), I can't play with normal sized picks anymore...feels weird....go figure....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stylus Guitar Picks

I bought those when they 1st came out. Ummm... Crap !
Don't buy into the hype. I tried and tried to use them, its good for single string use, but beyond thet, you're very limited as to what styles you can use it on. I paid initally about 10.00 for 2 picks and a booklet and I practiced for hours with that thing. I didn't think it helped my picking ability, nor did I play faster with it. Your best bet?
Guess... ;)

Bammbamm
Gonna weigh in here... Yes, stylus picks are excellent for improving speed and accuracy. YOU CAN PLAY CHORDS WITH THEM. Just look at “Berried Alive” play throughs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts