Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a combo that I can use w/ my 4x12 cab if I want.
Looking for something w/ alot of gain for Liquid Tension/ Van Halen_balance type of music.

I'm thinking the 5150 combo but hear its a little noisy.
I hear the Legacy is great but probably not heavy enough distortion.

Open to any suggestions!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a Soldano Astroverb.

1x12, 20watts, 1 channel, no effects, no effects loop. just plug in, turn up and play. Sounds really good. Never tried using it with a 4x12 so I am not sure if that's possible or not.

For some the lack of features are a drawback, for others an advantage. Not sure if it would have enough distortion for you though.

If you're rolling in it you could try the Cornford Hellcat combo, I am scared to try one as I fear for my credit card / marriage.

Engl Screamers look cool, I have never tried one.

Darren

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
spro007 said:
I'm in the market for a combo that I can use w/ my 4x12 cab if I want.
Looking for something w/ alot of gain for Liquid Tension/ Van Halen_balance type of music.

I'm thinking the 5150 combo but hear its a little noisy.
I hear the Legacy is great but probably not heavy enough distortion.

Open to any suggestions!
most high gain tube amps will be noisy - just a fact of life. the new JSX has a noise gate built in to combat the problem. i miss my 5150 i had - when i used a BBE sonic maximizer with it, it was tremendously FAT.
Kustom has some new tube amps that were designed by the same guy (James Brown - yeah, that's his real name!) that designed the 5150, JSX and XXX amps from Peavey. the new amps have a very thick chunk-factor which is something i look for in an amp.
i haven't tried the Laney - i imagine they make good stuff as they have been around a long time and are still producing. if you know someone who owns or works at a music store you can contact Laney and buy one amp - you don't have to buy a whole line of amps. they are one of the only companies that will sell onesies as most other lines make you buy $5000 or more in amps to carry the line.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I definitley like the low end factor on an amp as well.

I realize your not going to get as much on a combo compared to a head but I'm thinking maybe putting it w/ a cab will make a difference.

Never heard of a Laney but I'll have to keep an eye out for one and check it out.

If I see a 5150 combo for a decent price, I'll probably just end up getting it and keep my guitar volume down between playing to keep the noise down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.