Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to buy a 28" scale 8 string guitar and tune the first six strings to Drop B, then the 7th string a fifth lower than the 6th (E) and the 8th string a fifth lower than the 7th (A) so i'll be on the 8th string a tone lower than a standard 5 string bass and have power chords on the open strings 5-6, 6-7, 7-8.
I'd like to play fast super low power chords with a tight and well defined sound, and, when playing cleans, to have an instrument that can substitute a bass.
I'm asking with what kind of strings and pickup can be accomplished that, if it's possible?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You won't be getting a tight and well defined sound on only a 28" scale to be honest.

The problem is that using fat strings = muddy and warm

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's to longest scale for an 8 string, 30"?
I don't want a bass, already have one, i want a guitar sound and feel with extended range!

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's ridiculous. The same thing happened with lutes during the baroque era. They just kept adding strings to extend the range, often tuning the bass strings to a diatonic scale, until the became impractical. I saw one lute with a six foot neck that had to be played upright, but at the same time they also arranged their instrumentation for the lutes to cover the ostinato bass line alone. You may not want to sound like a bass guitar, but if you're playing with one you're going to be stepping all over his range and the result will sound like mud in the mix.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Bro dude man dawg, you're gonna need at least a 32" scale to get any clarity and not let it sound like complete crap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My bass is 34" can i put guitar strings in it? and change to guitar pickups?
but 34" it's almost unplayble, i don't think i can shred over 28"!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'm all for low tuning and extended range but I think some things are just better left undone. You won't get any kind of clarity in A0 on a guitar no matter how long the neck is.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're problably right, but I have this nice 5 string bass, yamaha RBX 375, that i don't use, alder body, active pickups, I'd like to convert it some way to use it as a baritone guitar any suggestion?
I was thinking of leaving all as it is except using baritone guitar strings, what do you think?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
You would need a new nut for sure. Also, I don't see why you're so intent on tuning low. A friend of mine has a 9 and its fanned properly, plus has circle Ks which sound much better for low tunings but even then it sounds kinda farty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts