Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have a ibanez gio and had a pod hd 400 but it got screwed!
No other pedals, or amp what so ever, i have a marshall 15w with reverb.

My dad is travelling to USA so he's bringing me a musicman JP12 7string which I always dreamed of.
Now I have to get a new effects processor, Axe fx is out of reach... so I don't know if going for the POD HD 500X, and maybe some other pedals like a dunlop wah wah, and a ernie ball volume pedal. My budget is 1k... so 500 would go to the pod...

Have any suggestions? I play progressive metal (dream theater, circus maximus, symphony X, between the buried and me, opeth and all that crap)

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
You've already posted this question previously haven't you?

Your POD HD400 should be perfectly capable of handling the tones you want.

Argentina also uses a different voltage setup to the US, so if you were getting electronics that rely on mains power you'd have to be careful of what you got. Power supplies would need to be capable of 110V (US) and 220V (Argentina), or you would need to source a power supply from a distributor in your country. Amps are probably out of the question because you would need to change the transformers in them, and that's a pricey thing to do.

Stick with your POD HD 400 and get yourself a decent solid state amp locally that has an effects loop so you can use the power amp of the amplifier and the POD as a preamp though the effects return. You should be able to get some nice tones that way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IT'S A DIFFERENT QUESTION I'M ASKING! :p I've decided the JP, but my pod hd 400 got screwed some weeks ago, and I have to go for a new effects processor...

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
holy crap, I'm surprised that Gio hasn't exploded into a billion splinters.
I was using ibanez gio as well and like how many years hmmm total up to 9 yrs already. Still haven't break to pieces, my band did a lot of DT covers as well and we travel a lot with that guitar.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Yes, Keep it. When you get a more expensive guitars you can use the gio as a back up.
I already have 2 prestiges and 1 standard RG :D My gio has been relegated to 4th tier :( Heck, recently I only play my prestiges :) Trying to find the right EQ for my gravity storms and trying to avoid using my neck Dimarzio IBZ in my 2550 (I didnt notice before but that thing is muddy as heck)

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
You could also look at an Eleven Rack.
I've seen them NEW on Ebay for $369.

I have EVO 1, EVO 2 and Gravity Storms too.
I don't like the Gravity storms.
They don't have enough treble.
The EVO 1 has too much treble.
The EVo 2 is just right!

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
IT'S A DIFFERENT QUESTION I'M ASKING! :p I've decided the JP, but my pod hd 400 got screwed some weeks ago, and I have to go for a new effects processor...
Ok well, you weren't quite clear, and again you didn't really need to start another thread. You could have updated it with your new question.

The newer POD will be perfectly fine too. Again, the power supply parts may be an issue like I already outlined in my earlier post.

Look at prices on online stores in the US of gear you may be interested in and have budget for, read reviews, watch youtube demos of those pieces of gear. Decide which sounds best to you. Make sure you can get a power supply in your country that will work with the gear if the one that comes stock can't switch between 110-220V and go with it.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts

The EVo 2 is just right!
Maybe thats why I like them. They are one of the few pups that dont go nuts with treble and it's got a nice low end.

·
Registered
337 Posts

The EVo 2 is just right!
+1, look into getting an Eleven Rack, check this video and decide for yourself,

·
Registered
6,200 Posts

Check the sound =(
That's the ibanez gio with the pod hd 400 directly USB
Sounds perfectly fine to me, man, and while there were a few sections where it sounds like you were struggling to get the feel right, overall that was about 2,538 times better than I expected when I clicked the link. Good job!

I think you're overthinking this, and I think while you're going to find the JP7 definitely plays better than the GIO, I don't think you're going to magically sound better with a JP7/AxeFX rig than you were with this - gear's important, but while your current setup isn't top-of-the-line, it's also totally serviceable.

What's wrong with the HD400? Is it fixable?

·
Registered
9,300 Posts
Yeah that sound seems perfectly fine to me. Not sure what you are so concerned about tone wise. Great playing too. If your POD isn't fixable get a new one, and the nice solid state amp with an FX loop and a reasonable guitar, doesn't have to be the EBMM version, go with the Sterling version maybe, which is still a great guitar and maybe save the money to save up for a nice valve amp.

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, really man. As a guy who's spent a LOT of money over the years, even cheap gear these days is good enough that probably 95% of how your playing comes out depends on how much you practice and how much time you spend learning to use it. You could be handed a JP7 and a Mark-V tomorrow, and your recordings wouldn't sound all that much different.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts