Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the NFl is taking bids on holding the SuperBowl in other countries besides the US.

What a crock of ****!!!

The taxpayers and cities who have built stadiums to accomodate these leaches should be in an uproar.

I can honestly say that if this happens , then I am done watching the NFL and will stick with College Ball.

The NFL owners have all been made rich enough here in the US and move their teams when they feel the profit margin is not high enough.
--------------------------------------------------------
We've spoken on what it would take to host and for us to bring it over," said events vice-president Frank Supovitz.

"The city has all the facilities needed, and in great quantity."

Supovitz was talking in New York City where the NFL Draft will take place this weekend.

"We have had very substantive conversations with the city of London. We've got to the point of exploring the bid document," he added.

Visit London, the capital's official visitor organisation, confirmed that it was pursuing a long-term ambition to bring the Super Bowl to the city.

"Ever since the NFL began playing games in London we have been in discussions with the NFL about what is involved in staging Super Bowl from the host city perspective," said commercial director David Hornby.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
Cities have to bid on getting a Super Bowl and that means money. Indianapolis' bid for their Super Bowl was $25 million. I think most cities don't have that kind of cash in times like these. And if they could swing it, they probably wouldn't want the news getting out when major cuts are being made elsewhere in state budgets; notably in education!
I'm with you, though, considering the amount of money we've ponied up in taxes to build these stadiums.
Greed is destroying every sport. I'm just now getting around to forgiving the NHL. ;)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't view this as Patriotic or uniquely ours. I view this as taxpayers paying for stadiums for the NFL.

The NFL should be obligated by the taxpayers and city governments to hold the Super Bowls in these cities in order for the money to be put back in the local economies.

The Super Bowl generates hundreds of millions of dollars just in local spending from travelers coming to see the games.

Here in Houston we have been taxed for the new stadium. The local business owners should have some loyalty back from the NFL in order for this to be more than just a "Take and Take" relationship.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Seems like a kick in the teeth to the fans, also, does the NFL have a large enough fan base outside the U.S to pull it off?

I'm sure if someone in Australia suggested they hold the NRL grand final in another country they would be hung, drawn and quartered, then drowned in a billabong. ;)

Rock on!

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
No one would attend because american rugby (notice I didn't call it football because it isn't) isn't a sport that anyone gives a rat's ass about elsewhere in the world.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
Oh, I thought you weren't calling it football because of a slight case of douchebaggery.
I call carrots "orange spikey things" because that's what they are.

·
Vendor
26,316 Posts
The sold out Wembley for a lousy game between the Dolphins and Giants, when the Dolphins were terrible, and the Giants played to their level.....

·
Premium Member
9,592 Posts
I wonder how much draw there would be for a game of American Bounce Orange Ball, or American Throw and Hit Ball.

The NHL is going to have the Hawks and (I think) Panthers open their season of North American Ice Puck open in Finland next season.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am done with Professional Football.
After playing golf with customers today and hearing others speak about this, **** the NFL.

I will not reorder my SUITE TICKETS for the Houston Texans. When they call me, I will tell them why.
My suite tickets are VERY expensive. I pay a premium price for them and my customers completely understood my aggravation.

I cannot beleive that this is even a thought.

Why don't we just have the World Series in China?
Maybe the NBA finals in India?
Maybe the Stanley Cup in Thailand?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Indian Cricket League finals in ****stan.
That could very well start a "Nucular" (Bush Term) war.

Had to edit, because I didn't know P A K I S T A N was a bad word. LOL

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
I wonder how much draw there would be for a game of American Bounce Orange Ball, or American Throw and Hit Ball.

The NHL is going to have the Hawks and (I think) Panthers open their season of North American Ice Puck open in Finland next season.
At least with the NHL it kind of makes sense to have games in Europe since many of the players are from there, and arguably many are more popular in their home countries. I don't think you'd see the Stanley Cup played over there, though. LOL! Canada would probably declare war against Europe if that happened. :D

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I don't really see any point in doing this, other than the basic principle of letting the highest bidder (city) organise this, in which case it will be hosted in Shanghai or Dubai for the coming 10years ;)

Ultimately what NFL wants is more exposure in foreign markets:
MLB has the 'classic', -which being dutch I greatly enjoyed-,
NBA does exhibitions, pre-season and even early season games abroad,
NFL has the NFL Euro league.
I think the NFL Europe experiment was fun for the NFL fans in Europe (and there are plenty) but it was never going to compete with European football. I doesn't even compete with Eurobasket etc in terms of interest from the public.
The NFL has also had long standing ambition to expand the league with Europeans franchises, but the interest generated so far has not been enough. If they were to expand, hosting a Superbowl in Europe would make slightly more sense.

I must say that I always try to watch the Superbowl, even if that means foregoing sleep, as kick-off is usually just past midnight local time. That alone is a major obstackle for international interest and similar problems would arrive for the US public if the game were to move to Europe or Asia. It's just not practical: 11PM in Paris is 2PM in LA.

But since I play basketball and have friends who play baseball, I must admit that I'm probably more open to US sports than most sportsfans here.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
lets face it, the NFL peaked in 1994 when the dreadful CBA was signed with salary cap.

a superbowl overseas would be a disgrace... but it wouldn't surprise me in one bit as roger g. is a complete phony & imbecile with one goal EXPAND SHORT TERM REVENUE AT ANY AND ALL COSTS the hell with fans.

That said i don't see it happening with any regularity...

Goodell (ie. lackey who seems to admire Wrestlemania) also wants an 18-game regular season. :lol: Anyone watching the game knows we need a 12-14 game SHORTER season so it's more than a battle of attrition & "who plays best the last 3 weeks without injury". 16 games is too many.

So we'll have a longer season soon and Superbowl tied to 3-day holiday PRESIDENTS DAY WEEKEND where monday is a "vacation" allowing for longer destinations. You'll probably see the probowl in the off week at the same site to encourage "tourism".

Goodell also has failed to keep ROOKIE SALARIES in check. You have guys with ZERO snaps getting $41 million guaranteed contracts. Simply pathetic. At the same time the players union & the NFL has failed retired NFL players who are given pennies on the dollar with their pension & medical insurance packages if they played more than a few decades ago. The disgraceful Gene Upshaw (now dead) former NFLPA pres once said (to paraphrase) "i work for current NFL players not retired ones". He was proud to have beaten down former players.

But back to the superbowl in another country, Roger is envious of "soccer" which is 10x more popular worldwide with 10x the revenue of NFL.

We'd have a better sport with increased gameday rosters (kept low to put more $$$ in the "superstars" pockets), a shorter schedule and on-uniform ADVERTISING. The NFL is all about extorting $$$ so just allow advertising on uniforms and use that $$$ to allow the game to be run properly (like "soccer") ... glen

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Glen - correction: $41.7 million... ugh

Neither the NFL or the owners care about the fans. The league is taking more games away from the in-person viewing access of local fans. The Super Bowl has not been something that fans of the teams playing could see for years. The team owners keep building new stadiums with massive PSLs, and prices so high that the common fan cannot afford to even park and can forget about getting a seat closer than row ZZ of the upper deck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts