Ibanez JEM Forum banner

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
ok, now you guys have done it: you made me want to save up to buy a JEM and modify it (which for some reason is a must with every guitar I get).

but I´m still a bit confused about FLO. there are 2 versions of the modified floral pattern FLO (original and 1999 if the pics in the gallery are correct), but is there an actual 7vwh FLO? is my confusion caused by a lack of pics of this new FLO? :?

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
PerKr said:
but I´m still a bit confused about FLO. there are 2 versions of the modified floral pattern FLO (original and 1999 if the pics in the gallery are correct), but is there an actual 7vwh FLO? is my confusion caused by a lack of pics of this new FLO? :?
Upon reviewing the pics i took from G3 2001 (not online), FLO used live would be the same axe... with more mods... FLOv3 if you will. It was the same body (modified FP - w/ large chip near volume knob edge), sustainer PU, but VWH neck replaced the 555 neck.

I am not sure if FLO from NARAS was another model "FLO" or the same one. It is near impossible to say w/o photos to examine. I know that EVO-II was sent to Sustainiac in '99ish but he's still endorsing Fernandes and EVO-II was used in 2001 w/o a sustainer. SO obviously some of the names are recycled... glen

·
Vendor
26,330 Posts
OK, went and checked some pics. The chrome Jem and VWH the LACS built for Steve were built ground up with the sustainers installed. No personal designation on the VWH since it was still brand new, could be a FLO or who knows, but neither of those guitars have the X bridge.

·
Premium Member
11,482 Posts
Rich said:
OK, went and checked some pics. The chrome Jem and VWH the LACS built for Steve were built ground up with the sustainers installed. No personal designation on the VWH since it was still brand new, could be a FLO or who knows, but neither of those guitars have the X bridge.
to clarify the LACS (where all vai's new jems should come from)...

* chrome jem - from dimarzio ads?... the one w/ mirror pickguard on the face?

* VWH - any markings/writings on the face?

·
Vendor
26,330 Posts
Looks like full chrome [probably should say nickel but who knows ;)] it has a chrome guard but it's regular guard shap [I don't remember the Dimarzio add to compare] Nothing written on the VWH yet, it's still at the CS ;)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Out of sheer morbid curiosity, and I'm probably asking a question that someone has already talked about but I am a retard....
What's the tape on the pickups for?

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
The tape on the pickups is to keep the high e string from catching on the edge of the pickups. I have a video of paul gilberts, where he has tape on his as well. Dimebag darrel religously uses this on his neck pickup. Of course dimebag has one of the most violent attacks Ive seen a guitarist have. This usually happens to me only when I go nuts on the whammy, but it will happen very very rarely *like once a year* without usin the whammy at all. I keep my neck pickup low enough though that I dont have an issue with this, and my bridge pickup is a seymour duncan dimebucker with a plastic strip around the coils (at least on my "player guitar") everything else I use is dimarzio, paf pros typically. Does anyone know interestingly enough if evo has an ibanez backstop *tremsetter* in just some or all of his jems? Was their a seven string version of the backstop or does their need to be? Any chance of getting some closeup picks of that gadget in and out of the guitar

·
Registered
422 Posts
ot, but inspired by the tape on pickup thing .. i'm far more likely to end up with my whammybar UNDER strings at then end of a whammy debacle than w/ the high e caught under the pickup itself.. and this has happened not once or twice, but MANY times, LOL.

~A

·
Registered
941 Posts
You can see a picture of the tremsetter here on the site. Go to the gallery and look for a pick of the back of flo. It's the two cylindric parts between the springs.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
jemsite said:
Rich said:
to clarify the LACS (where all vai's new jems should come from)...

* chrome jem - from dimarzio ads?... the one w/ mirror pickguard on the face?

* VWH - any markings/writings on the face?
My understanding is that it is the latest edition of FLO with a Fernandes Sustainer in it (and a fast track). This one had AANJ neck too.
As Rich says, no writing on it yet.

The Chrome Jem also has a Fernandes sustainer (and half an evolution (?)) and chrome pick guard as Rich says.
There does appear to be some binding around the top edge of the body.
The vine is chrome, of course :)

·
Vendor
26,330 Posts
Hmmm, If we're looking at the same guitar look again. VWH neck with black head, no binding anywhere I can see ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Phew!!!

6 Pages in 4 days?

Needless to say I didn't read it all, but addressing the issue of Steve leaving Ibanez...would he?, could he?....hell I dunno, but we all know how players tend to mellow in their older age, i.e. rely on a workhorse that's comfortable and can provide them with most of the things they need (which eek! Fender have been providing for years)

Obviously Vai will tire of being associated with monkey grips and lion's claws, if not already, but whether that will make him leave Ibanez I doubt it.

Hmm another thing to think about in the whole vai leaving ibanez/jem would be, what guitar would he play?

I cant think of a manufacturer that has a model even close to the jem in ferms of features for steve. I mean lets face it - he designed it for his huge hands, his ridiculous use of the whammy bar, his funky monkey grip? Think that aint a big deal, how many times during a show does he reach for that monkey grip and swirl it round his head?! Every gig i've seen.
Yup, I'm talking about all this....what will he want with this in 5/10 years?
Only he can answer this, but I really do suspect a mellowing with age and a move to more understated workhorse guitars.

Won't stop me buying Ibanez, but the only thing that would is if they couldn't provide a guitar that fitted me, sig or no sig and that's how it is.

Steve

121 - 134 of 134 Posts