Ibanez JEM Forum banner
12K views 133 replies 26 participants last post by  ripl3y 
#1 ·
Suppose Vai (gulp) was no longer affiliated with Ibanez. What would happen to the Jem line? I was thinking it might diversify for a couple of years and then things will be done or undone to it to make it cheaper, and then maybe it'll be discontinued. AARRGGHH! I would hope they would try to make attempts at making it another high-end RG alternative and experiment more with it. I was curious about what your thoughts would be on this.

I really that it never actually happens.

Mike 777 Haug

#2 ·
Evil thoughts man 8O ...you need to talk to a priest or something. I would think that they would discontinue the lesser-selling version possibly and milk the money maker until nothing else can be done. But there may be a clause in the contract or something limiting their production only to when he is part of it. I have no idea about the legalities part though. Just my guess.

David

#6 ·
despagni owns nothing. ibanez owns the RG/JEM feature-set and would do what they did after any other endorser, such as JP left. But there would be no guitar sold that is called "JEM" from ibanez.

If ibanez could make up for the LOST REVENUE of losing an endorser like Vai, i think their actual guitar lineup would be improved in the USA. I don't think they'll ever chance it though... and Vai is going nowhere.

This may rub people the wrong way, but if Vai isn't going to play a JEM anymore that customers can buy, i would not regret his leaving ibanez. This would give ibanez more "freedom" for their lineup, reducing their shackles to "endorser models" and likewise perhaps allow Vai to mass-produce the *actual* axes he's playing again... like he did for the first decade w/ ibanez. I don't see the drawbacks, other than no new JEMs as we knew it :D ...glen

#7 ·
Im not arguing with you glenn. Good points and well described. But doesnt joe despagni still get a royalty, from the monkey grip and lions claw? Im almost positive he receives some form of payment for these. Its been made clear that ibanez isnt really doing what vai wants anymore. Vai has been using the sustainer so much, and we ALL want one. How about a dbk with a sustainer, and a chrome vine? Sound nummy :)). yes it does

#9 ·
So, you're not allowed to customize your JEM? I think there are a few law-breakers here, including myself. Is EVO the guitar for everyone? Hellno. I don't want one. I think the JEM line is a great place to start...then mod it to what you want; what best suits your playing. Now it's illegal (or inappropriate) for SSV to mod his own guitar? WTF?

No one is stopping you from doing exactly the same thing that SSV did- get a VWH and drop in a Sustainer. I'll bet ya it'd be cheaper to do it yourself than to buy a JEM-VWHS(ustainer) if Ibanez ever came out with one. Besides, there's not bigger loather of the 555 than Glen. Would you REALLY want a 555 neck on your uber-priced guitar?

All anyone does is scream about JEM prices going up and up. If Ibanez added a JEM model with a Sustainer, do you really (honestly) think they'd sell it for LESS than what the VWH is going for?
I know logic and facts aren't allowed here, so I apologize for posting such things.

From everything I've heard, Despagni has been paid. He's done his business with SSV and Ibanez and has moved on (with all his cash. LOL).

Steve leave Ibanez? Not gonna happen.
(Why is it that this topic comes up every few months? Odd...)

#11 ·
There is a point where a "signature model" can deviate too far from what the artist really plays. The JEM is at that threshold, if not beyond.

Kevan said:
So, you're not allowed to customize your JEM? I think there are a few law-breakers here, including myself. Is EVO the guitar for everyone?
huh? evo is a VWH. we're talking about FLO, the other sustainer JEMs and the PIEZO axe he played at the Grammys. Jeez.

Kevan said:
I know logic and facts aren't allowed here, so I apologize for posting such things.
:roll: can someone highlight the "logic". :lol: ... glen

#12 ·
The Ernie Ball strings is just the first step. He'll be with EBMM before you know it. :mrgreen:
They'll just discontinue the JEM line. And Korn will be the big names with Ibanez.
I think I have a couple pics of Glen with a 555 neck in his hands, now that you mention it. :lol:

#15 ·
I'm not seeing the part where I said "EVO has a Sustainer in it" or where I even mentioned the name "FLO". Anyone else see that? I see the part where I say "VWH with a Sustainer in it"....but that's all I see.

At what point does customization become deviation? From the moment the first screw is removed to replace the strap buttons with clip locks? One drop of solder? New pickups? New tuners? New trem? New neck? Christ, JP has a new blue EB/MM-JPM double-neck and no one is yelling that it's not a sig. model or how he's "deviating" from the original/in-store models.

What's the problem with artists trying new things out? Why not try a Sustainer? Why not try a Double Edge system? If you like it, then try to incorporate it into your sig. line.

I play(ed) a JEM because it's a very comfortable guitar, and offered me more options than the "usual" models out there, that haven't seen advancement since the headstock was re-shaped smaller.

Do you want to forge ahead, with the artist at the forefront, or do you want the same old thing we've been getting for years? If the artists don't do it, then who will?
You?
Me?
I didn't think so.

#17 ·
All I want is for ibanez to put out a guitar with some jem qualities, a real trem and a sustainer. I could care less what the pickups are. They have never been a selling point for me ever. It was always the quality of build and two or three bells and whistles. Otherwise I cant really justify buying another guitar to myself. Im up to nine now and its just getting ridiculous. lol. (so maybe we need counselling like alcoholics do i dont know) LOL. Im just voicing a feeling. I dont want a completely insane alder body, ebony neck vwh. If I want a vwh Ill buy one. I want a differnet guitar, instaed of different pickups

#18 ·
Kevan said:
At what point does customization become deviation?
when the "customization" is extravagant, and continuous for long periods of time. At this time, to SSV... his "JEMs" would have to be "heavily customized" to return to the factory state of what you can purchase ;)

Kevan said:
From the moment the first screw is removed to replace the strap buttons with clip locks? One drop of solder? New pickups? New tuners? New trem? New neck? Christ, JP has a new blue EB/MM-JPM double-neck and no one is yelling that it's not a sig. model or how he's "deviating" from the original/in-store models.
a picture speaks 1000 words ---> :roll:

Kevan said:
What's the problem with artists trying new things out? Why not try a Sustainer? Why not try a Double Edge system? If you like it, then try to incorporate it into your sig. line.
This reads like an apologist. I'd prefer to read LOGIC ;) Explain why the Sustainer is not available in a JEM, when Vai has been using it for SEVERAL years now... almost exclusively for the past few years.

Kevan said:
Do you want to forge ahead, with the artist at the forefront, or do you want the same old thing we've been getting for years? If the artists don't do it, then who will?
Holy contradictions batman. Ibanez/Vai are giving the SAME OLD THING to the public. The *new* SAME OLD THING (7VSBL) is actually MORE MONEY than the *old* SAME OLD THING (7VWH)!

While SSV plays VERY DIFFERENT THINGS instead. This is not something new, has not been adequately addressed and is the entire point of the conversation ;) 00...glen

#21 ·
jemsite said:
when the "customization" is extravagant, and continuous for long periods of time. At this time, to SSV... his "JEMs" would have to be "heavily customized" to return to the factory state of what you can purchase ;)
I'll again pose the question (and watch for the avoidance here, folks): You scream like a banshee about JEM prices, but want SSV (and Ibanez) to produce a guitar that would likely jump the price by a good $500 (MSRP)? You want a $3000 JEM? How well do you think that would sell? You want one? I hear a half-dozen others asking for one. That's great, but what about real numbers. Real number: JEM/UV purchases are less than 10% of Ibanez's annual sales. (Again, I'm sorry for posting a fact. Chastize me later.) Now you want them to invest the time and money into something, figuratively speaking, for you? Sorry- don't see it happening.
(Side Note: SSV sure has had the DiMarzio ClipLocks for a LONG "continuous" period of time. Don't hear any cries for them to become standard issue on the JEM/UV line.)

jemsite said:
a picture speaks 1000 words --->
WTF? Speaka de English? Do you want a picture? Is that what you're asking for? Check Todd Crawford's site. New DT pics from a couple of nights ago. Scroll down for pics of JP's new blue DN.

jemsite said:
This reads like an apologist. I'd prefer to read LOGIC ;) Explain why the Sustainer is not available in a JEM, when Vai has been using it for SEVERAL years now... almost exclusively for the past few years.
For the exact same reason that you, I, and the rest of the Forum have been told over and over again since you opened your site in 1996- THE ARTIST HAS 110% CONTROL OVER THEIR SIGNATURE MODELS. If SSV wants to put out a UV with a huge phallus pointing out the back of the trem, Ibanez will build it. If he wants one that lights up when UFO's come within 100 yds. of the guitar, Ibanez will build it. If SSV says the new JEM will have 8 necks (4 double-necks in an X-pattern), Ibanez builds it. That's how it works with Ibanez. Other companies do things differently with their artists.
As you've told so many before: Email Vai if you want new things from the JEM/UV lines. He's the one making the decisions.
"Signature Model = artist has complete control because it's his name on the guitar = LOGIC".
Simple enough.

jemsite said:
Holy contradictions batman. Ibanez/Vai are giving the SAME OLD THING to the public. The *new* SAME OLD THING (7VSBL) is actually MORE MONEY than the *old* SAME OLD THING (7VWH)!
*prepare for sarcasm*
You're right. I've see far more advances in the Tel*, Str*t and LesP*ul lines in the last 50 years than I've seen from the JEM/UV lines since their introduction. Oh look...a sunburst Str*t. Oh look...a sunburst LesP*aul. How ..............original.
*sarcasm off*

jemsite said:
While SSV plays VERY DIFFERENT THINGS instead. This is not something new, has not been adequately addressed and is the entire point of the conversation ;) 00...glen
Again, email Vai.
You know the routine.

#22 ·
SSV wants a buzz feiten mod and Ibanez wont do it. I can get the magazine quote if you would like. And I dont fully beleive this. There was a time when a stock jem was what vai plays. he doesnt now, and thats what I want. A guitar with all the bells and whistles. I simply dont have the cash to waste if I mess up the route job on a sustainer equipped jem, and Im not gonna settle for a fernandes because it simply wont do the job with the pos trem. So sue me for wanting something odd. How many people really want a shocking pink jem? They sold the hell out of em. Along with puke green, and floral patterns, that would make madonna blush.

#23 ·
Kevan said:
jemsite said:
I'll again pose the question (and watch for the avoidance here, folks): You scream like a banshee about JEM prices, but want SSV (and Ibanez) to produce a guitar that would likely jump the price by a good $500 (MSRP)? You want a $3000 JEM? How well do you think that would sell?
nice tap dancing.

Raising prices, could be justified in the marketplace, if they show RESULTS and actual product warranting the increased price. A production "FLO" would obviously fit this bill. See K7 and VSBL as two axe that would not justify their pricing to the average Ibanez consumer.

Kevan said:
You want one? I hear a half-dozen others asking for one. That's great, but what about real numbers. Real number: JEM/UV purchases are less than 10% of Ibanez's annual sales. (Again, I'm sorry for posting a fact. Chastize me later.) Now you want them to invest the time and money into something, figuratively speaking, for you? Sorry- don't see it happening.
nonsensical commentary... they could sell enough to turn a profit and maintain integrity. PERIOD.

jemsite said:
a picture speaks 1000 words --->:roll:
Kevan said:
WTF? Speaka de English? Do you want a picture? Is that what you're asking for? Check Todd Crawford's site. New DT pics from a couple of nights ago. Scroll down for pics of JP's new blue DN.
ROLLS EYES (the smiley is a picture i'm referring to)

Kevan said:
That's how it works with Ibanez. Other companies do things differently with their artists. As you've told so many before: Email Vai if you want new things from the JEM/UV lines. He's the one making the decisions. "Signature Model = artist has complete control because it's his name on the guitar = LOGIC". Simple enough.
Blah... ibanez and vai are partners and equally responsible until proof is shown that one party approached the other and was rejected.

This is also why my first post states what it states :D

jemsite said:
Kevan said:
Again, email Vai. You know the routine.
What is the point of emailing vai.com? Should i email Santa Claus too :D This is so obvious it is redundant to email anyone explaining it. You want me to email the Pope and remind him Dec 25th is Christmas too? ;) ...glen

#24 ·
Hmm another thing to think about in the whole vai leaving ibanez/jem would be, what guitar would he play?

I cant think of a manufacturer that has a model even close to the jem in ferms of features for steve. I mean lets face it - he designed it for his huge hands, his ridiculous use of the whammy bar, his funky monkey grip? Think that aint a big deal, how many times during a show does he reach for that monkey grip and swirl :roll: it round his head?! Every gig i've seen.

JP basically had an RG with his signature on it, i know there is more to it than that, but boil it down and thats what JP did. He doesn't go mad with his whammy bar and his stage presence is far more under-stated that SSV, so so long as the company he goes (EB) to produces a fast 2 octave neck, then he can sign his name on the dotted line. (i know it sound like i'm slaggin' JP i'm not i love the guy - just making a point)

Steve on the other hand would need his new company to build a model from scratch, or heavily customize a current model.

Lets see, gibson, nope just cant see it? jackson, doesn't he break their necks every time he picks one up? b.c. rich? ssv makes passion as well as war :wink: carvin, possibly but they would need to up the quality from what people tell me.

The only thing i could think of is him going back to his old strat....modding guitar himself...

In short, if steve left the contract...he would still play the jems i think, because i think he honestly loves them, he wouldn't design a guitar he hated would he?

steve = jem
jem = steve

I know ibanez have their bad points, but so does all of the big names. You wanna see high prices go to uk and buy a les paul STANDARD..and count the change out of $3000. Fender, have biger QC ssues than ibanez i think.

When it comes down to it, we here love ibanez cause they are contemporary guitars that are more subtle than the jacksons b.c rich and have features that go above and beyond the traditional names.

Basically we cant have everything, try playing bad horsie on a les paul or a strat for that matter. Even a low range RG could pull it off (albeit with horrendous lo-trs useage).

And for that i'm thankful for.

I think steve will stay with ibanez, and even if he didn't - most of us would

track7

#25 ·
No one here dances like you, Glen Astaire. :)

You gonna answer the question?
(3rd try) Would you, Glen, spend $3000 on a JEM-FLO model? Yes or No.
I don't need a detailed explanation/song/dance; just a straight answer.

jemsite said:
nonsensical commentary... they could sell enough to turn a profit and maintain integrity. PERIOD.
More "facts" from you? LOL You know, 100%, that a true FLO model (exactly like SSV's) would sell hundreds? Thousands? As well, or better than any of the current (or past) models?
You've got sales estimates? Toss 'em out!
I've seen a dozen posts about wanting one, but....come on Glen. How about some logic on this one?
(If it was "nonsensical commentary", it wouldn't make sense, right? Sense is right next door to logic....hmmmm)

I don't give a crap who you email.
Tell the Tooth Fairy & Easter Bunny I said hello.

#26 ·
the ibanez jem 10th and 90th models sold. They were basically trumped up cosmetic versions of the jem. A real copy of flo or whatever would sell just as well as both of these jems, and probably cost less or almost the same. The 10th now sells for around 50% more than it did in the beginning. The 90th is almost in that range as well. The dnas sold, the pink rootbeer yellow, purple ugly weird ones have ALWAYS SOLD. Steve vai can sell a guitar like no other. Why not a playable version instead of less mother of pearl hype. I think that justifies anything thats been said and sense weve drifted in and out of topic close this post before its too late. LOL :!:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.