Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've just ordered a Sustainiac Stealth Plus for my 7VWH. I'll be stripping my baby tonight and prepping all the bodywork for routing to take the circuit, and routing to take the easy access battery change hatch. Would it be beneficial to post pictures of it all here, or has someone done it before?

Update :
http://owenkelly.com/2005/09/sustainiac-install-on-ibanez-jem-7-vwh.html
This is a link to the full tutorial I did on installing the Sustainiac.

Owen.
Ibanez Jem 7VWH
Peavey Wolfgang
Sennheiser Wireless
Boss GT-Pro
Mackie J800 Poweramp
Ibanez TB412S 4x12 Cab
Behringer FCB-1010
Still can't play for **** no matter how much gear I buy :)

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
No ones posted pictures though thats his question. Ive requested a full tutorial, as Ive been scared to death to do this, but if you do maybe you can shed some more light on the issue.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I had originally installed mine in a Kramer using two push/pull pots to activate and control the different modes of sustain, then when I moved it into an RG520, I wanted a different arrangement, so I contacted Sustainiac and they drew me up a new wiring diagram specifically for what I wanted.
They have tremendous technical support.
I wish I would have taken pics of the installation. :|

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
jemsite said:
Pics would be great... i'd be glad to host them in the tech area... glen
Did i forget to say thanks for your website ;). We appreciate the work.... anyways the link the otehr guy gave was to a different kit, it doesnt include the type of routing that would need to be done to install the mini toggle switches or extra potentiometer, nor does it detail the painting process

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sustainiac arrived this morning. All my body routing was spot on, and I've a lot of work done in preparation. I'm currently trying to figure out how exactly to wire it all, it's bizarre. I was sent two wiring diagrams, one for a Jem, one for an RG. The Jem would be the logical one to use as I'm installing into a 7VWH, but the diagram for the Jem shows only three wires coming from the Bridge Pickup - there's no white wire for the coil tap.

Then the RG Diagram has the white wire - it seems to be the more complete diagram for what I'm doing, however, I'm not sure how I should proceed. Has anyone done this before? Maniac Music must be on their lunch, I can't raise them on the phone. Oh well.

It's 6pm Irish Time, I'm hoping to be playing this by midnight! I've loads of pictures taken, and made one or two mistakes, but shown how to fix it. I'll be posting it all on my own website, and I'll provide a link to it on this forum. As per the Admin's generous offer, I will make the how-to available on this site too.

Owen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't really have a fear of wiring it up, I'm handy enough with a soldering iron and DMM, but I need to know which diagram is which. Very frustrating as I can't go any further now and I know I could finish this before the evening is out. Doh! :)

Owen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
About 30 so far :) Doing a whole how-to on it. When I'm finished wiring it, I'll post the whole doc.

Tell me about it though, when I took a power tool to my Jem it was a strange moment!

Owen.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installed. I never ever want to do one again. But it rocks :) Okay, well, I'll do my wolfgang next, but it rocks. It's kinda tingly when it's on, like having a vibrating phone in your hand, but "Whispering a prayer" is beautiful on it.

It's 12.30am in Ireland, so I'll write it all up tomorrow. Teaser bit on owenkelly.com so far.

Owen.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I had a Sustainiac Stealth Plus installed in my 2550 last week too. Its back at the shop now. For some reason we can't identify, theres a lot of grunge in the signal when the sustainiac is OFF.

Anyone have an idea what would cause that? Hit the sustainer and all the garbage in the signal disappears completely. It makes no sense to me.

I'm not an expert when it comes to wiring by any means tho. Hell I'm not even a beginner....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
From my understanding of the installation, there are certain areas you have to be careful of. For example, on the 10 pin connector you must wrap the violet and gray wires together to allow them to cancel any induction they may create (The same as the twisted pairs in a Cat 5 Network cable). Another important step is that if the back of your pickguard has a foil cover, you must remove the foil around the sustainiac in a 1 inch radius to eliminate hum.

Last but not least, you must keep the driver wires away from the pickup wires. This is very difficult as they get wired to the same places, but try all the same.

Don't forget in the kit they give you a small piece of metal to clip onto the sustainiac. This can be repositioned to eliminate squeal a little bit.

Owen.

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
ned78 said:
Installed. I never ever want to do one again. But it rocks :) Okay, well, I'll do my wolfgang next, but it rocks. It's kinda tingly when it's on, like having a vibrating phone in your hand, but "Whispering a prayer" is beautiful on it.

It's 12.30am in Ireland, so I'll write it all up tomorrow. Teaser bit on owenkelly.com so far.

Owen.
Pics dude ;)!

Regards

André

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
could you guys please post locations - there's about three of you that haven't done that. i like to know where fellow Jemsiters are from - it's cool to know which country or state you live in. thanks.
BTW- welcome to Jemsite and i'm interested in seeing someone cut up a 7VWH for this operation - i'd be scared to death to route mine. i'd do it on an RG or something but i couldn't hack on Elvis. you are a brave man!
TJ

1 - 20 of 36 Posts