Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first the recession and now this. i'm reading up on it now. hopefully it's nothing like the spanish flu was back in the day. regardless of how large or small, the media is running with it....as they are so good at doing.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Yeah I hate these pandemic scares but I think it will be under control fairly quickly. The medical system today is a lot different from when the spanish flu thing happened.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The medical system today is a lot different from when the spanish flu thing happened.
this is true. that's actually one of the things they said at CNN. i just love the media. there could be just one person with a box of kleenex and a runny nose and it's all over the news...RUN FOR YOUR LOVES! BOARD UP YOUR WINDOWS! SAVE YOURSELVES! there's an OUTBREAK!

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
True -the media tends to sell the sizzle more than facts.

But this really could be a problem. This particular strain has not ever been seen before, and there is no known antidote or antibiotic that works on it. Tamiflu doesn't work Flu-shots don't work. Mostly, these burn out and stay in a relatively small geographic area, but this is popping up all over the USA at the same time-

- that's probably due to Spring Break. Students from all over the world went to Mexico. Incubation period still can infect others before you show symptoms, so it's spreading faster than we can track it. Inerestingly, most viruses attack the very young and very old, but this one is taking down 18-45 year olds. That is alarming.

The big fear from the CDC is that it appears to be mutating into a different virus in humans.
When a virus jumps species it usually burns out quick, but this seems to get stronger.

Best to keep watch on this one....

~j

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Cool. The Black Plague....um, the Swine Plague that is. This could get interesting. Sometimes I wish I had TV just to watch the hysteria.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
I am a little concerned about it as some of my family has just been in Mexico and LA this past week. I hope they are all feeling ok!

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
To help put it into perspective...

"Compared to the ordinary flu that many Canadians catch each year, swine flu has so far been quite mild.

The Public Health Agency’s website says on average, the common flu sends about 20,000 Canadians to hospital each year. Between 4,000 and 8,000 Canadians can die of influenza and its complications annually, depending on the severity of the season."

·
Registered
215 Posts
Funny how Obama was just in mexico two weeks ago and they mentioned nothing in the news.Then an explosion of information ,Mexico city on lockdown and mandatory quarantine
of a family here in Texas. Also talk of mandatory quarantine in federal detention facility for anyone with any flu like symptoms.I don't think we have to worry about the sine flu and worry about peoples hysteria and the insane mindset toward others that infects peoples ignorant minds. Pig in a poke!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Up to 500,000 die worldwide each year due to the plain old garden variety flu. This is being completely blown out of proportion.

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Up to 500,000 die worldwide each year due to the plain old garden variety flu. This is being completely blown out of proportion.
I think you're missing a little here. The reason why this strain is freaking out so many people is because it's killing young healthy people.

Those 500,000 people dying from regular strain of influenza are mostly the young, and elderly.

If there is a strain of flu that can kill off those strongest to deal with regular influenza then there is a major concern. It actually affects the primary workforce, which in turn affects many other things.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I think you're missing a little here. The reason why this strain is freaking out so many people is because it's killing young healthy people.
Let's not forget though that these people that are dying are not US citizens but Mexican citizens. I'm not saying for sure that Mexican citizens have lower health, but doesn't it seem odd that only one american, and a toddler at that, has died of the swine flu? Many people are already infected in Texas and they have been known to be recovering fine from it.

In my opinion, the media is blowing it way out of proportion and isn't as serious as it's being made out to be.

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
A member of the World Health Organisation (WHO) has dismissed claims that more than 150 people have died from swine flu, saying it has officially recorded only seven deaths around the world.

Vivienne Allan, from WHO's patient safety program, said the body had confirmed that worldwide there had been just seven deaths - all in Mexico - and 79 confirmed cases of the disease.
*yawn*

·
Banned
2,459 Posts
Now here is something more exciting.

SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - North Korea threatened Wednesday to conduct nuclear and missile tests and start an uranium-enrichment program in addition to its existing plutonium-based one, unless the U.N. apologizes for criticizing its recent rocket launch, dramatically raising its stake in the worsening standoff over its atomic programs

·
Registered
9,301 Posts
Let's not forget though that these people that are dying are not US citizens but Mexican citizens. I'm not saying for sure that Mexican citizens have lower health, but doesn't it seem odd that only one american, and a toddler at that, has died of the swine flu? Many people are already infected in Texas and they have been known to be recovering fine from it.

In my opinion, the media is blowing it way out of proportion and isn't as serious as it's being made out to be.
That's true, I understand that too. I'm personally not really freaked out at this stage.

If young strong people in more affluent countries with good access to medical facilities start dying then I'll be a little concerned.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
The WHO seems to be going all out on this one. Maybe they know something we don't or maybe they are just being over cautious.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts