Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey my names Jake. I know that you guys are like really strick about swirling technique but I was wondering if someone could explain it to me. I really want to understand how it works and so maybe I could try it out. Also I am willing to spend the time money and patience to get it. Thanks you guys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
yeah there are videos on youtube, but essentially they get a barrel of water, put droplets of ink on the surface (not sure on the specific kinds they use) and then swirl them around. Then once its settled down you slide the guitar into the water wobbling it around etc until fully submerged, then you clean up the ink etc left on the surface, and lift it out.

Wet, but swirled :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya i looked there but I was wondering if one of you guys who is really good at it could help me out. Thx for the info though.

·
Super Moderator
2,516 Posts
Do you really expect someone who makes their living off swirling guitars to tell you their secrets? For all they know you could be a competitor painter.

Also you might have better luck if you have specific questions instead of just saying, teach me how to swirl.

Cheers,

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey my names Jake. I know that you guys are like really strick about swirling technique but I was wondering if someone could explain it to me. I really want to understand how it works and so maybe I could try it out. Also I am willing to spend the time money and patience to get it. Thanks you guys.
I probably should stay out of this thread but I feel like I have to comment.
you say you are willing to spend time and money so go ahead and do it because that is what we all did and that is what it takes to make it right. dgbaker gave you the best starting point you could have wished for and you even did not have to pay the 5$ the e b a y guy is asking for apperantly what seems to be the exact same info.
I hope you will not take it personally, I wrote this with best intentions in mind and without any anger or resentment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Experiment. That's what I've been doing. Just take some pieces of wood, I cut down a plank of wood into 12"X12" pieces, and dip away. Some come out looking cool, some do not. You're not ruining anything and not using that much paint. I guess it's kind of like the age old question;

How do you get to Carnegie Hall?

Practice...

Scott

·
Registered
254 Posts
Do you really expect someone who makes their living off swirling guitars to tell you their secrets? For all they know you could be a competitor painter.

Also you might have better luck if you have specific questions instead of just saying, teach me how to swirl.

Cheers,
lol very paranoid, ive seen about 4 or 5 swirls on here that i think are any good, so its obv there arent a lot of good swirlers out there, maybe if everyone was more open then the swirls would be better? and less expensive cos there would be more doing it, it costs about £400 where i live just for the body to be swirled

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
lol very paranoid, ive seen about 4 or 5 swirls on here that i think are any good, so its obv there arent a lot of good swirlers out there, maybe if everyone was more open then the swirls would be better? and less expensive cos there would be more doing it, it costs about £400 where i live just for the body to be swirled
www.outofthisswirled.com You will get a great swirl and it will save you loads of money.

If you just want to experiment and have fun swirling, please do.

If you just want one body done, go to a professional.

It's obvious none of the "succesfull" swirlers are sharing their secrets what paint to use, etc.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ive never been paranoid to share what i know about swirling. Its not something that you can read about, and learn to do however. Its takes alot of time, practice, trial and error.

The swirl part is the best thing about the process. Its ALOT more work to do the entire finish. There is also, sanding, sealer, sanding, more sealer, sanding, white finish, swirl(hopefully only once), clearcoat, wetsand, clearcoat again, wetsand through several grades of grit, machine buff, hand polish.
Its laughable that people think its so easy, when in fact its a labor intensive process to get a proffesional finish. Yes you can buy a $150 Poplar body from E***, but its noy clearcoated/sanded/buffed.

Here a link to the Lava swirl i did. Just so you know that i have an idea how to swirl.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/lava-swirl-jem-finally-finished-85295.html

·
Registered
469 Posts
I also love these swirl threads as they were the inspiration for giving it a go, & finding the link above on projectguitar.com to explain how it was done.
I've still no idea what other people use because most wont tell you, but in the tutorial they say use enamel paints as they are oil based & float on water, so the first 4 swirls I ever did were using the only paints I could find -Plasticote enamels from the local hardware superstore. Just pour them onto water give it a swirl & dip the guitar in.

Then I had not done one for a year or so but got the bug again & searched **** for fluroescent enamel paints & discovered One-shot Signpainters paints- available in any colour you could think of.
Once I got these, I started using borax & was the first time I had ever done any testing, because you need to thin the paints to get them to spread evenly on the surface of the water. After that its just fun - do you want a messy swirl? - then swirl them about a lot, clean swirl - don't mix them up so much, what order do you add the colours, how much colour, spots, flick in one on top of another...there are so many thousands of swirling styles that have never been done on guitars, just google marbling & have a look

Above all, have a go, have fun & let other people know how you did it, because its not magic, it just floating paint on water & dipping something into it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ive never been paranoid to share what i know about swirling. Its not something that you can read about, and learn to do however. Its takes alot of time, practice, trial and error.

The swirl part is the best thing about the process. Its ALOT more work to do the entire finish. There is also, sanding, sealer, sanding, more sealer, sanding, white finish, swirl(hopefully only once), clearcoat, wetsand, clearcoat again, wetsand through several grades of grit, machine buff, hand polish.
Its laughable that people think its so easy, when in fact its a labor intensive process to get a proffesional finish. Yes you can buy a $150 Poplar body from E***, but its noy clearcoated/sanded/buffed.

Here a link to the Lava swirl i did. Just so you know that i have an idea how to swirl.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f15/lava-swirl-jem-finally-finished-85295.html
That Lava swirl was my desktop background until very recently.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Nice to know my tut still helps people =) It may well be my only gift to man kind to be rememberd by. LOL

·
Registered
510 Posts
There is no swirling SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even I searched for it for about a year. The only way to learn how to swirl is to experiment and learn how to work with your paints. Im sick of people thinking that everyone is keeping something from the public. The only thing that they know that you don't is their technique. Excuse me while I prep my next guitar to be swirled =)

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
There is no swirling SECRET!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even I searched for it for about a year. The only way to learn how to swirl is to experiment and learn how to work with your paints. Im sick of people thinking that everyone is keeping something from the public. The only thing that they know that you don't is their technique. Excuse me while I prep my next guitar to be swirled =)
Then if I may ask - What brand paints are you using? Until you inform us - your keeping it a secret.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts