Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post in the forum. I've been watching guitar swirling videos for a long time and decided to go for this adventure. I've been having some problems with my swirls, of course, just as anyone that has just started swirling. After my first 3 attempts and many hours of reading and searching for tutorials and information, I decided to write this thread up to explain my doubts.

I'm trying with two colors to get some experience before I move on to more complex multicolored patterns. The main issue I'm having (and I've seen this happening in lots of videos on youtube) is that the first color spreads beautifuly, the second one too, but the third (same as the first) doesn't spread a lot and the fourth (same as the second) doesn't spread at all. Can anyone tell how to get the colors to spread one after the other just as @DeanSwirled does in his videos? In his two colors swirls he adds the black first (or the darkest paint) then the second color and keeps alternating until he gets the colors solid enough for swirling. Can anyone give some advise on that?

The other issue I'm having is that some colors are drying and skinning too fast, making it impossible to swirl. How can I avoid this?

I believe that if I get over this two issues I'll be swirling decent patterns.

I hope the more experienced folks would share their knolege (or secrets :) )

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
The two best swirlers in that thread are WillTubarao and barbarelaxe. They are using automotive enamels. Do not use any type of paint you get at a hobby store. They just will not give you good results. You will probably also want to get a professional to clearcoat the guitars with 2K clear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the response.
I might have readed more than a hundred pages in this and other forums, but still haven't finished. I decided to write this thread because although there are lots of good information on related topics there aren't many precise instructions. There are tons of comments like "you gotta find you own way of doing it" almost like a mantra. I know there are many variables that can change the results for a given recipe, but it doesn't mean there is no method that could be followed to get similar results. I'm talking about avoiding the same mistakes many have already made before. The fact that there is no right way of doing it doesn't mean there's no wrong way.
Being able to do great swirls my own is personal goal now, I got the swirl fever. I know that I have a long way down this road but I'll get there eventually. I'll be taking notes for each experiment I make and the results I get. Any help is welcome.
So, does anyone have a clue on how can I make a oil based paint to spread one color after the other constantly?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts