Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

Damn! I see all these custom swirls done by our bros and love them all.

Does anybody have any advice or step by step instructions
as to what paint is used? The methods on doing it properly and so on....

Step 1: .......
Step 2:........ and so forth...........

I have a body that I would love to turn into my ultimate dream swirl.....
It would be great to see how it's done.

Either way if it ends up being too hard or a time factor for me, then
maybe I could comission some one here to do mine up.
Still any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ahhh the late 80's, early 90's.... A time of true love and soon to be classics...

Good times

Squeeg

·
Registered
446 Posts
Is it as complicated as it looks in the tutorial? Or even worse, perhaps? :eek:

One thing is for sure, I now appreciate those swirls a hell of a lot more now that I know how they're done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
id love to do some of this, its just stripping the guitar down completely and then setting it up again after would kill me. i also dont have any of the right gear, and im too much of a lazy feck to go buy it all

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
IbanezroadstarII said:
the swirl in the tutorial looks absolutely horrid

edit: Spelled something wrong :(
Yes, thats because it wasnt planed. We just did it to take photos for the tutorial. A crapy RG was used.

Here's a JS I did later on
I wasnt going for a JEM swirl so I didnt move the body from side to side to the that "wave" you see on Jems. I wanted a more earthy look with the green and blues.

Here is the Tutorial guitar

It now hangs over my pc, sorry for crappy pics but I had to use my cell phone bein gmy dig cam is in my girls car.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think it's a nice swirl. Not at all horrid. I admire you for your courage and effort in taking the (no pun intended) plunge and doing it yourself. I know I would never have the guts to experiment on my own. It maybe a crappy guitar but it's still a guitar, and plus the whole logistical nightmare of doing so, the tank, the paints....and experimentation!

Hats off to you my friend!

I'm loving your swirls.

One question that has always bugged me, how do you ensure continuity of the swirl? Like the front pattern flows to the sides and the rear?

How did you manage that?

Well done once again!

·
Registered
166 Posts
i have a question. if you want a guitar like vais UV (i think thats what it is, havent looked at the album cover in AGES) on passion and warfare, black with like, grean and pink and stuff swirled ontop, do you just paint the guitar black beforehand and swirl it with the other colours, or do you just need to put a lot of black paint in the tank with the other colours so its part of the swirl?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I really like the tutorial swirl, in fact, i like it better than the one on the JS.

I can't wait to start swirling, although when i get up to doing guitars i'm not sure how to fill in the screw holes so they don't get ruined when the guitar is in the water.
peace

·
Registered
89 Posts
freedom's door said:
I really like the tutorial swirl, in fact, i like it better than the one on the JS.

I can't wait to start swirling, although when i get up to doing guitars i'm not sure how to fill in the screw holes so they don't get ruined when the guitar is in the water.
peace
Wax would be your best bet. I've heard it said time and again, bodies soaking up water will crack. ;)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Robot Boy said:
i have a question. if you want a guitar like vais UV (i think thats what it is, havent looked at the album cover in AGES) on passion and warfare, black with like, grean and pink and stuff swirled ontop, do you just paint the guitar black beforehand and swirl it with the other colours, or do you just need to put a lot of black paint in the tank with the other colours so its part of the swirl?
Always paint the guitar white before you swirl it.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Chris From Singapore. said:
One question that has always bugged me, how do you ensure continuity of the swirl? Like the front pattern flows to the sides and the rear?

How did you manage that? Well done once again!
Thanks Chris, I got grief from some people for doing that tutorial. I just had to find out how to do it and to pass it along. Plus, Im crazy =)
Well its a hands on thing, you have to some what control the paint on the water and in your head see how its going to wrap around the body, when you have your paint floating you want to make sure its spread out and you have a good amount of different colors collected in the floating paint spot you going to dip in. Sometimes it can get crazy! You want more black over here with the red and then the blue moved more to this side etc..You can use fans all around the tank to help keep the paint from spreading away from center.
Robot Boy said:
i have a question. if you want a guitar like vais UV (i think that's what it is, haven't looked at the album cover in AGES) on passion and warfare, black with like, green and pink and stuff swirled on top, do you just paint the guitar black beforehand and swirl it with the other colors, or do you just need to put a lot of black paint in the tank with the other colors so its part of the swirl?
All swirled bodies are done with a white base coat unless you have a guitar that is lets say Yellow and you want yellow in your color you could use it as it is a light color but it might change the color of the other colors if there to thin. But you really want white to be your base.
Some colors spread faster then others and some colors also thin out more then others in the water, so you have to test your paint and get an idea how each one floats, Black is a quick spreader and you don't need to use much to get black blacks.
freedom's door said:
I used lots of wax for all holes and cavities like your neck pocket, electric cavities holes (the hole leading to your pickups don't forget), tone and volume holes and trem route. Im sure there is other things that can be used to seal them off but wax works just like on a surfboard. Plus its easy to remove!
Like SwirlJem said, water and guitars = bad! It will split your body like nothing!

That said, you may could turn around the whole thing by not using water with oil paints at all. Try using oil in place of your water and use water base paints but that may make problems when it comes to clear coating as water base may chrase with a nitro clear coat but you could use a low solvent clear like fast clear by Alias but thats for another tut =)

·
Registered
437 Posts
HDS said:
I used lots of wax for all holes and cavities like your neck pocket, electric cavities holes (the hole leading to your pickups don't forget), tone and volume holes and trem route. Im sure there is other things that can be used to seal them off but wax works just like on a surfboard. Plus its easy to remove!
Like SwirlJem said, water and guitars = bad! It will split your body like nothing!
Thanks for the tips!!!!!! What kind of wax are we talking about? One last thing, what's the easist way to get the wax out after you've done the swirl?
peace

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.