Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, Guys.

I was just at my local GC store and they had a used Prestige RG1570 which I enjoyed playing. The guitar is going for $529.00.

I am just wondering if I can switch out the Prestige neck for a Super Wizard neck.

The neck I have is maple and is from a 2K RG550. I have all the parts for a hybrid rg but I just found out it might not work due to string spacing issues. So that's why I'm looking at this option.

I should be able to sell all my parts on **** and break even or close to even.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have installed a 1570 prestige neck on a 520 body that had a super wizard neck so here is what I found. The prestige neck is,as mentioned above, slightly wider by the thickness of the two dark stripes running the length of the neck. To fit on the 520 all I had to do is remove a small mount of paint from each side of the neck pocket. The neck screws matched up perfectly. I don't know how it would be to put the super wizard on the prestige body but I have found the tolerances on these parts are not all that close so it might work just fine.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
The issue with putting the narrower neck in the Prestige neck pocket is the fit. Guitars with two wide (and even too narrow) a neck pocket affects how the guitar resonates in a negative way.

You could try stuffing something in the neck pocket on the sides to help, you might have some luck doing that. I'm not sure how well it would work though.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Ya, I agree. A perfect fit is best. I just wanted to throw my experience out there in hopes of helping someone with the info and point out that the prestige neck is not much wider than the super wizard. With the FugiGen RG's that I mess around with I have found that although they are really good they do have some variation in neck fitting. I think if you got lucky it's possible you could find a prestige body that the prestige neck fits tight and a super wizard would fit just right. I have also seen quit a few RGs with loose side fit on the neck. If you loosen the screws you can move the neck side to side a bit. Sure it's not perfect but with all the variables that are in an amplified electric guitar rig I seriously doubt it would be possible to decern a not quit perfect neck fit from a perfect neck fit all other things being equal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts