Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new combo amp has a Celestion 70 watt 8 ohm speaker. I'm thinking of switching to a Celestion Vintage 30. I found a sweet deal on a Vintage 30 that's 16 ohms.

Question: My amp has a dial to switch to 4, 8, or 16 ohms. If I install this 16 ohm speaker and switch the dial to 16 ohms I should be set?

Also, should I really be looking for an 8 ohm Vintage 30 or will the 16 ohm speaker be ok. Any forseeable issues with switching?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Just set the impedance switch to 16 ohms and you'll be set. If you decide to use an extension cabinet later, get a 16 ohm cabinet and set the selector to 8 ohms if you are using the cabinet and the internal speaker together.

Roger

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh while we are on the subject,

My amp is plugged into a surge protector, but the lead channel is still getting noisy. What can I do to quiet it down? The clean channel is ok.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
You use single coils? Try humbuckers, or try a noise gate.

What kind of amp? I'm going to take a guess due to the 70 watt speakers.... Mesa?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
is the surge protector plugged into a outlet that also has lights, or a computer or similar appliance plugged into it? You might to try a outlet on a different circuit.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
What kind of amp is it? If you are running alot of gain, it will be noisy unless you use a noise gate.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the suggestions. I need to find another outlet.

no it's not a Mesa. :)

See my other updated post.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.