Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

hi everyone. just wondering if there are any owners of the SZ2020 here. it might not be the proverbial Japanese Prestige model (the SZ2020 is korean), but it's one heck of a guitar, especially with the Seymour Duncans in there. i've had a hard time putting it down every time i plug it in.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i nearly did not buy this SZ, i was very undecided because it was going for as much as the discontinued Jap version (SZ1220, pic below). it's Jap vs Korea but i decided it was the 2020 for me as i value tone & playability against cosmetics/ country of origin. the Duncans in there won me over, definitely. however, the flamed top is an ungraded variety, it's also not book matched, quite an eyesore.

PS: if there's anyone out there who doubts korean craftsmanship- don't. i know there are players who are interested in the current Prestige S/ SA models as well which are also korean WEF 2005. :)

·
Registered
9,952 Posts
germX said:

hi everyone. just wondering if there are any owners of the SZ2020 here. it might not be the proverbial Japanese Prestige model (the SZ2020 is korean), but it's one heck of a guitar, especially with the Seymour Duncans in there. i've had a hard time putting it down every time i plug it in.
Very sweet indeed :).

Regards

André

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
germX said:
if there's anyone out there who doubts korean craftsmanship- don't. i know there are players who are interested in the current Prestige S/ SA models as well which are also korean WEF 2005. :)
Agreed. Though the reason why Korean craftmanship isn't as good is because of it's inconsistency, right? Looks like you were one of those who acquired a high-quality Korean instrument:wink:.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
consistency is secondary. there's this opinion that korean production is simply not good enough. it's like a good Ibanez has to be made in Japan or it's a waste of money buying anything else.

·
Registered
949 Posts
That turned out great. That "antique violin" style is probably my favorite finish for a classy look, and it suits the SZ body very well. I imagine that wasn't easy to do without sanding through the thin maple veneer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.