Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I was getting a bunch of feedback from my monitors and I read that it was a grounding issue.
Well I have a bunch of extra power cables for them so I tried something some said would work but is not recommended. I pulled off the 3rd prong(the grounders) that goes into the outlet.
That fixed the problem but is it safe? Fire hazard? LOL
thanks

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
It's never sensible to pull the ground on power cables.

Fix the problem, not the symptom: figure out which bit of kit is causing the noise, and depending on what it is you can start to work out what the proper fix is.

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
It's a pretty dumb move if you ask me. Find a way to figure out where the noise is coming from instead of putting a bandaid over the problem. Personally, I would get a good surge protector/ground isolator and plug your stuff into it.

Jimmy:smile:

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Ground isolation is the key. If removing the ground gets rid of the noise you probably have a ground loop. Not too many ways to eliminate ground loop problems with out changing your configuration or installing some type of ground isolation.

It's never a good idea to remove the grounding conductor from a circuit. It is there for your physical protection. You could potentially energize the metal chassis on your components. More likely if you plug into a power source with reverse polarity.... More common than you'd think.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!
What type of isolation unit are you talking about?
Also, when you say asking for an accident are we talking about components being fried, or my house being burnt down?
lol

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks guys!
What type of isolation unit are you talking about?
Also, when you say asking for an accident are we talking about components being fried, or my house being burnt down?
lol
Asking for an accident as in you probably wouldn't need to worry about replacing a burnt house of fried components....or anything else ever again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts