Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.. I have to tell you, I'd been playing with this Tech 21 Tri Od, and just Friday night my brother who also has one, and has a PRS 1001 Ten Top and I jammed thru a big set of cabs with power amps and I can't tell you how TUBE like these things sound.. They have a Fender Tweed, British and Cali settings, and I mean they are so close it's now become my favorite piece of equipment besides the guitar.. As a matter of fact, the same day I had played a Crate Tube V 30 watt head into a small cab and it did NOT sound any better to me than this little pedal except for the clean..BUT, I didn't get to crank it to get the power tube distortion going, or I'm sure it probably would have, but to even get close to me is amazing! .. I know it's hard to believe, but I've been playing the guitar for 28 years now on and off and I'm telling you I think I know tone! This thing rocks! I'm going to buy as many as I can to insure I have enough to last! hehe.. I make no money from Tech 21, and don't get any special favors, etc.. I just wanted to let some of you guys in on the big secret if you're like me and were looking for a way to jam without carrying three tube amps around to get three different sounds.. The nice thing about this Tri Od is that you get the Mesa sound, The Marshall sound and the Fender clean all in one box.. The only down side is that the EQ is the same for all three, but believe it or not, it still has it's own character.. You'll just have to try one.. Make sure if you do, that you run it directly into a powered PA or thru the effects loop of your amp to by pass the pre amp stage of your amp.. A solid state amp with a huge cab in this way rocks, but the PA with horns, and huge speakers with ton's of head room is the best!
Hope someone gets some enjoyment out of the thing besides me! hehe..
Tim

·
Registered
88 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I don't gig, so I have been intensely interested in one of their Trademark amps. Their sound samples are stunning.
Though I love tubes, I just don't like the expense and weight involved.

They seem to make some pretty fine stuff.

Bob

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It's no secret. Lots of people thing the Tech21 stuff is the best at modeling tube amps (other than a real tube amp, of course).

·
Registered
6,200 Posts
Yeah, Tech 21 makes the only "modelling" gear that I've really been impressed with - a Trademark 60 I demo'd did the SRV thing better than a number of cranked tube Fenders I've played, it was absurd.

-D

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Even Les Paul himself is using a tech 21 trademark 60 now. God knows he loves gadgets. Ive yet to really sit down with one, but really hope to dig into them someday

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SniperFromMars1.. I hope you get to check them out.. You'll love them I bet.. They are the closest thing I've ever heard to a tube amp.. I think that sometimes they sound better, because most of the big stacks can't be cranked too much to get that compressed power amp distortion liquid sound we all love, but can't all identify.. Well, you get that with the Tech 21 better than with any other product besides a real tube amp.. They are just great products.. I'm going to buy their wah wah I think.. Sounds like it could be great.. By the way, I noticed you're from KY? I'm in Indiana.. Southern Indiana.. Seymour to be exact.. How far are you from Lousiville? Just curious, as I can't place where Richmond is?
Thanks man.. :)
Tim

·
Registered
506 Posts
I got the Tri AC.... and it is superb! Less gain (its drive at 3 oclock is the same as the GT2's at 12) and with a more vintage voicing than the GT2, the Tri AC just churns up tonal bliss. And if I want to go metal, I just throw in my trusty TS9DX before it and it goes into screaming overdrive.

Tech21 has the best modelling distortions/overdrives out there IMO... nothing beats them when it comes to natural sounding tones. Great stuff!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Richmond is around an hour to an hour and a half from Louisville on the interstate at least overall not too far. Right now Im just using a korg modelling processor and a marshall half stack for a poweramp really. I get good tones out of it for me so IM happy. The key thing for me with any rig is sustain and its got it at least. After all most playing is in the hands anyways right? Although my guitar collection has reached the evil number of 13 instruments :>

·
Registered
296 Posts
Cool...I see I'm not the only one who likes TECH 21.

I use a TRI O.D., and have owned a Trademark 60. Only sold the TM60 because I stopped gigging a few years back, and it's not too "apartment friendly". My neighbors downstairs didn't like me shaking their ceiling when I practiced.

Consistent tones from venue to venue, and it lets your guitar's tone come through.

I'm looking to add a TRI A.C. to my collection.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm also looking to add the Tri Ac and maybe the 60 watt engine power amp.. I am not sure how much difference there is in the Tri Ac and the Tri Od as far as tone and sound, but I've heard they are similiar..

Tim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Snipers.. I'm an hour north of Louisville by the way.. Yeah, I agree.. I have to have my sustain and the Tech 21 is great.. I wish my RG was a fixed bridge model.. :-(
Tim

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tonight I played the Tri Od thru a small amp's clean channel just for fun while playing the CD player.. to learn ZZ Top's Blue Jean Blues, and I can tell you that my tone was right on! It has the best fender tone.. I think it's about as close to a real fender as you can get.. It's like having a huge Fender with hundreds of watts producing crystal clear clean tone that just sparkles.. I also love the sound of the Mesa Channel called the Cali.. It seems to take the thinness out of the RG which is a little thin sounding because of the trem and my DD pickup.. But I'll solve that with the Tone Zone that should arrive by Wednesday.. That said, it just rawks with the Tri od.. Man I can get sounds almost exactly like Paul Gilbert, John Sykes, etc.. and he's using a custom paul.. I bet the Tri Od would rock with a Paul..
Thanks guys..
Tim

Drew said:
Yeah, Tech 21 makes the only "modelling" gear that I've really been impressed with - a Trademark 60 I demo'd did the SRV thing better than a number of cranked tube Fenders I've played, it was absurd.

-D

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
sniperfrommars1 said:
Its official Toshiro you have given me outright gear envy. You now suck ;)
:p You can say that when I get the rest of that rack filled up... It looks so *vacant*.. lol Hmmm... Compressor, noise gate, tuner, wireless, soo many choices. :D

I really love my Tech21 though. I'm with Shredcows though, you really need to push these with a TS9 for a metal tone. If it had a bit more gain, and maybe was a little tighter on the Cali setting, I don't think it would need the boost. They do sound far more organic than any of the digital modelling gear out there.

The biggest plus to me is that I can switch channels with no drop out like a digital device. :)

They recently discontinued the Trademark 120 2-12" combo, so maybe they plan to re-design and re-issue it? I'm not sure.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts