Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Watched it last night, really great to see how he actually played the parts. Love the way he uses the fretless portion of the bass neck to tap and slide notes.

If they make a Premium it'll surely have real DiMarzios and a Lo Pro 7 😁.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
When I saw the video, I was deeply impressed, as I have not been for a long time. S.V. is a great innovator . I have booked a "Meet and Greet" ticket for Nuremberg, and hope to experience the "Hydra" and its master backstage and live.
Cheers !

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Awesome.... Somehow "virtuoso" just doesn't seem to cover Steve Vai! I thought the guitar was a little gimmicky, but liked the Teeth of the Hydra song on the new album. Seeing him actually play it on the Hydra guitar is amazing. Did they make him a special harness to wear the thing? Seems like it is not moving with his body...

A+ to Steve on this one though, in the guitar guru world you don't often see anything that hasn't already been done a million times before. If only he had that guitar for the "Crossroads" duel... Ralph Macchio would have just laid his guitar down.

·
Registered
189 Posts
The only problem with the video is the expectation it creates of this song in a live setting when he tours the album. My bet is he 'mimes' the non-lead parts for show, while someone plays them behind the curtain.

·
Registered
9,452 Posts
As someone who respects Steve Vai's talent, but is not a huge fan, that was incredible. Much respect, playing all of those parts live, just wow! I can barely comprehend playing one slightly complex guitar part, but commanding essentially three-four instruments all at once in a performance is mind blowing.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Definitely awesome... Am I the only one who finds it comedically odd how he gets this monster of a guitar built... and he just had shoulder surgery not long ago haha. Steve's Doc - "Okay Steve, take it easy now, you're no spring chicken anymore..." Steve - "sure thing Doc ;)... HEY Ibanez, so I had this dream the other night about this guitar!" Not good for the shoulder Steve! But no injury dictates creativity when you're Steve Vai!

·
Registered
957 Posts
Definitely awesome... Am I the only one who finds it comedically odd how he gets this monster of a guitar built... and he just had shoulder surgery not long ago haha. Steve's Doc - "Okay Steve, take it easy now, you're no spring chicken anymore..." Steve - "sure thing Doc ;)... HEY Ibanez, so I had this dream the other night about this guitar!" Not good for the shoulder Steve! But no injury dictates creativity when you're Steve Vai!
Might have something to do with the fact that the idea for the Hydra was hatched and the first prototypes delivered quite a few years ago. Steve has had the prototype since 2016.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts