Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!

I, as many others here, am using this popular teflon tape in my anchors of original floyd rose, so that the studs in them are tight and not moving.

I was wondering, can this layer of tape cause any muffling of sound, loss of sustain etc.?

Anchors are the most important point in floyd-equipped guitars, in terms of trasmitting vibration on bridge side, so if there is some plastic or whatever layer between studs and anchors, it surely must dampen some freqs.

What do you think? Anyone's experience?

·
Registered
11 Posts
as far as i know it shouldnt change the tone or cause loss in sustain, if it did it would be super minimal and you probably wouldnt notice it at all. alot of ppl wrap the studs with that tape or fill it in with something and ive never heard of anyone having a problem with that. id say just try it, you can always take the tape off anyways and possibly find another solution or new studs.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I wouldn't want it in there. Even with loose threads you have solid metal-to-metal contact when the stud is pulled forward by string and spring tension. Imagine a slice of teflon tape under your lock nut as a shim, it doesn't seem like a good idea there either, right?

Locking studs are best, but I also like something gummy like boiled linseed oil. If you put some on there, then string the guitar up quickly, you'll force metal-to-metal contact but then the linseed oil will fill in the gaps, gum up, and hold everything steady. Threadlock is great too, but again get the guitar strung up so the threads aren't sitting on compound. I would pop the springs, set the trem off to the side, then put it back right away before the compound dries.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I wouldn't want it in there. Even with loose threads you have solid metal-to-metal contact when the stud is pulled forward by string and spring tension. Imagine a slice of teflon tape under your lock nut as a shim, it doesn't seem like a good idea there either, right?

Locking studs are best, but I also like something gummy like boiled linseed oil. If you put some on there, then string the guitar up quickly, you'll force metal-to-metal contact but then the linseed oil will fill in the gaps, gum up, and hold everything steady. Threadlock is great too, but again get the guitar strung up so the threads aren't sitting on compound. I would pop the springs, set the trem off to the side, then put it back right away before the compound dries.
Threadlock compound would work better, but its the same principal

·
Registered
691 Posts
I agree locking studs are the best solution, but teflon or threadlock compound are both reliable fixes.

Have you noticed any loss of tone/sustain? Just my opinion, but if you're not hearing any loss it's a non issue.

Possible? Sure. I would be willing to bet that on a level that's imperceivable by most mortals(except Eric Johnson) it already is. Of course most mortals don't hear the difference between screws or rubber bands to hold their stomp boxes together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.