Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
yamaha apx7a.

it might not be the best acoustic guitar acoustically (?) but has a decent preamp. solid top.

i chose it bcs it's one of the best transitional acoustic guitars for someone who is primarily an electric player.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Depends on your price range and what you're looking for. If you're looking at sub-$500, I'd recommend checking out Seagull. My buddy picked one up last week after trying everything else in that price range. Picked up an S6 (I think), for about $350 - sounded a lot better than some of the other guitars there that were +500.

I respect that many people like Ovation, but I've never heard one that I liked. They sound too much like banjos to me.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Washburn D-10S

Very affordable ($199) and one of the few that actually comes with a solid spruce top at this price range. Nothing fancy, but it captures that John Mayer sound pretty decently.

Honestly, I'd recommend spending a bit more than I did- you'll be glad you did in the long run.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I decided to sell of my "true" acoustics last year after they started collecting a layer of dust. They simply weren't being used because I didn't feel like lugging them to gigs.

In a fit of practicality, I picked up a couple of custom shop models from Rick Turner's Renaissance line.

The 6-string is a cedar top on a walnut body with Paua abalone purfling. The 12-string has a cedar top on a highly-flamed big leaf maple body. Both have 18-volt Highlander pickup/preamp systems and sound better through an amp or PA than any other acoustic I've played (and that's a lot!). The guitars that got replaced were a Martin 000-28EC, a Lakewood M-46C and a Lowden F-32C.

The Renaissance guitars are built like a traditional acoustic in that the tops are braced and the bodies are hollow. They're designed to be plugged-in though, and it shows. They're bolt-on necks (the 12-string is graphite-reinfoced). I love em! I had a rosewood/spruce nylon-string model and a 12-string baritone as well, but sold them while cleaning house last year. Overall, some of the nicest "acoustics" I've had the pleasure to have owned.

http://members.aol.com/vaijem777/Turners1.jpg

Renaissance is supposed to have some more affordable models out in the next year or so that will be assembled in the Cort factory. They should have list prices of under $1000US. :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,731 Posts
LOL! that's funny....

ANYWAY, I went the other way and got a D'Angelico New Yorker NYL-2. It's got a mini humbucker, but the pickup and controls and wiring are all on the pickguard, and the wires run through the soundhole. It's pretty much a true archtopped acoustic, with a pressed spruce top. It is astounding in everyway, and a much nicer player than any of the L-5's I played (and couldn't afford anyway). It's primarily a jazz guitar, and I play jazz on it with TI flats, but you don't have to. It speaks beautifully, and is musically inspiring to play.

http://jim777.com/images/newyorker.jpg

jim

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Tacoma has been bought by Fender (I couldn't be more upset) but they still remain my favorite because of their technological and developmental advancements. I think they have US made dreadnaughts starting around $450 street price.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Jim, That's a beautiful geeter! Aren't those about $30K?

jim777 said:
LOL! that's funny....

ANYWAY, I went the other way and got a D'Angelico New Yorker NYL-2. It's got a mini humbucker, but the pickup and controls and wiring are all on the pickguard, and the wires run through the soundhole. It's pretty much a true archtopped acoustic, with a pressed spruce top. It is astounding in everyway, and a much nicer player than any of the L-5's I played (and couldn't afford anyway). It's primarily a jazz guitar, and I play jazz on it with TI flats, but you don't have to. It speaks beautifully, and is musically inspiring to play.

http://jim777.com/images/newyorker.jpg

jim

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
would anyone have any play time on the line 6 acoustic variax 700 ,i was at the guitar center the other day and checked one out for a limited amount of time but i was impressed with the action and sounds this one put out ,i also would like to thank all of you for your info and pics of thoes beautiful guitars ,thanx and have a good day all _ still on the search _ smkin_guitar

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi, I just wrote about the Ibanez's on another of your posts.

There, you didn't ask, so I didn't say I'd had 2 Martins, a Takamine, and loads of Gibsons.

I'm retired, but kept a couple of the Gibsons as dust collectors or souvenirs, and actually play my Charvel A/E once in awhile.

Now this isn't just me reminiscing. You wanna buy a new guitar? They're so hi-tech now, and loaded with goodies for affordable prices, like 6-700 bucks. And I forgot Seagull, as somebody mentioned.

My friend just got one. It ain't pretty but it plays and sounds good, after the right setup, which it did NOT come with. See www.godinguitars.com 'cuz they have other good brands too, most are HAND MADE IN NORTH AMERICA - of all places! Canada's Strat man Dwight

1 - 19 of 19 Posts