Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
RBM Custom and RG Aztec finally DONE!!!. Pics inside!!

Well, I used to post the updates of this projects in the "Another PGM custom" and "RBM custom" threads, but since the PGM turned into the RGAZTEC, and there is also the custom RT, I decided to put the latest updates in just one thread. I hope it makes more sense! :)

Anyway, here are the new pics:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/RCB/customs step2/

I dont know why but when I resized the RT pics, the top figuring becomes blurry, so the RT pics dont do justice to the actual guitar at all. The RGAZTEC pics are better but they also dont reflect how good this thing looks in person (at least, to me!). The RBM pics came out great, and are very true to the guitar.

They ve just finished aplying a layer of paint on each of them, so they look pretty rough (they have to be sanded, and painted several more times, before the final sanding and polish).

I think the 3 guitars will be finished in 15-20 days.

Hope you like them.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Could you please tell me who is doing the work and how much it costs (if no secret)? YOu are making three customs for yourself or for someone else, or someone makes them for you?

·
Registered
71 Posts
RCB, you are an economist? I am PhD Finance. I have a friend who at Fed in Dallas but who now is on the Council of Economic Advisers. Got a picture of her and President Bush. SOme people don't find that impressive (maybe because of Bush), but I sure as hell do!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Those are AWESOME guitars man! I'm particularly fond of the 'RG Aztec'. It's going to be very interesting to hear what it sounds like with the combination of different woods that have been used.

What types of wood is the Aztecs neck made up of ?

I can't wait to see the finished guitars with all their harware and stuff !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!

The top of the red one is vavona root burl (the same as the top in the RBM, but the RT has a translucent red over it).

The woods in the RGAZTEC neck are: bocote, granadillo, bocote, with the headstock made of cocobolo. The freatboard is Katalox.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Flanker said:
Could you please tell me who is doing the work and how much it costs (if no secret)? YOu are making three customs for yourself or for someone else, or someone makes them for you?
About this particular guitars, I just design them, i dont actually make them. These 3 are being made for me.

The guitars are being made by a couple of amazong Luthiers here in Mexico City. They dont have a website, and in the past the didnt take foreign offers, mostly because they dont speak enfligh fluently. This made ve change though. Ill ask them and let you know by a pm.

·
Registered
938 Posts
VERY impressive! Your luthiers obviously know their craft. Could you tell me if those beautiful tops were a paper-thin veneer, or something a little thicker? You've got me thinking I should mod one of my RT650s as well.
Bert

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
stratoskier said:
VERY impressive! Your luthiers obviously know their craft. Could you tell me if those beautiful tops were a paper-thin veneer, or something a little thicker? You've got me thinking I should mod one of my RT650s as well.
Bert
Those on the RT and the RBM are thin veneers. In order to hide this, one has a sunbrust and the other has a binding. The RT is also going to have a figured cocobolo pickguard.

The RGAZTEC has a pretty thick bocote/granadillo top and back.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Finally 2 of them are done!!!! (well, almost done anyway.... there are still a couple of details to fix, adjust or complete).

So whats missing?

RBM Custom:
The back covers and the truss rod cover are going to be made of flamed cocobolo.

RGAztec: There is a slight correction to make in the neck alignment and the backcover is being remade (because its not perfect. The tuners are going to be replaced with Schaller locking tuners.

But, they are both assembled so you can get a pretty acurate idea of how they are going to look (the cocobolo covers on the Reb Beach will improve the looks dramatically, but the front is completely finished).

There are 15 new pics of both of this guitars. I hope you like them!!!!!!

http://photobucket.com/albums/v493/RCB/customs/

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
They look fantastic 'RCB' !!!!!!!!

How do they sound?

Very high quality workmanship on those guitars. Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
OMG!!!!!!!!!!! The wood on those things is so stunning i never wanna see a solid color again! RCB you always come through with an elegant, beautiful axe. Keep up the good work!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts