Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted on here, but I've got a question that I want to ask: What do you feel is the best neck on an Ibanez?

Obviously this is all down to personal taste, but every time I play my RG1570 (a 2003 model) the Prestige Super Wizard neck just doesn't feel right to me. Maybe I'm just crazy, because the neck on my EDR170, a Wizard II, feels far better and less 'stick thin'. Do all of the higher-end Ibanez guitars have the mega-thin neck, or is there a compromise out there somewhere?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
The new necks are wider (58mm at the last fret) and I find them a little wide but after I play them for awhile I start to get used to it but usually my preference is for the older (late 90's - early 2000's) Wizard necks, which I believe were 56mm at the last fret. Wiki list of neck types here: http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types

My favorite neck out of my Ibanez collection (which includes a Jem, 2 Prestige RG's, '91 S custom & 1990 RG550) is the maple neck on my RG550 - perfect width and thickness for me...and it's maple...mmmmmm buttery smooth maple :)

·
Premium Member
3,354 Posts
I have so many Ibanez necks.
They are all so close, you're talking 1 or 2mm hear or there.
I just like them flat and wide!

If I had to say, my JEM7DBK.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The preference actually depends on your left hand angle.

with palm facing parallel to the neck, the super thin design is perfect. The guitars position should be similar to classical guitar players, favored to the left of your body.

But most play with a relaxed angle, where the palm (from 4.th finger) facing an outer angle to the neck. Then guitar position is favored more to the right side of body.

So basicly its about where the thumb is placed to get the most power with minimal effort.

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
My preference in necks depends on mood I suppose. Sometimes my Strat Ultra neck is the only one out of my guitars that feels right. Sometimes, it's my Charvel San Dimas. Same with my two JS's, JEM BSB, and my mexi strat w/OFR.

Even my two JS's necks feel different. One is 1000BP and the other a 1600.

·
Registered
7,559 Posts
My jem77 neck and my cheap yamaha rgx121 neck. I played some peavey guitar a while ago and the neck is awesome as well. I can't really play jackson's neck though. Oh yeah the new fender stratocaster special is awesome as well.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My js1000 neck is the most comfortable that i have played on, the neck on my les paul studio is the worst (its painted and very sticky), although i have fallen in love with the neck on my mates 8 string schecter, it was the first 8 string i played but i took to it like a duck to water

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Best neck is my RG8670 J-Custom. Perfect everywhere I play on it. Behind that I'd give it to the Ernie Ball Music Man, EVH, Wolfgang, and JS line. I like necks I can wrap my hand around.....well I can do that with any 6 string neck, but when I do it on a Wizard or Wizard II it just doesn't sit in the pocket (palm) of my hand, but then again I don't have Steve Vai monkey fingers.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I love all my necks. I still havent played my 550 enough to get that amazing feeling from it, but my favorite necks are my 350EXZ and 2550. Rosewood fretboards are nice. However, the maple neck on my 550 feels ALOT better than my 1550. Dunno why.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like all the necks excluding the gio's.
1.) PGM prestige necks
2.) Jem necks found on the 7vwh with 6105 frets
3.) and basically all the wizards especially the 80's RG550s.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
For sheer speed, I do like an old S neck from the 1980s.

For cowboy chords, a fat and rounded Telecaster neck at 1" thickness at 1st fret is actually comfortable. A late-50s Les Paul neck is also great in that same way on first few frets.

But I do like my '06 Artcore AS73 neck which is in between and is a good all purpose neck. It's fat enough for chord comfort yet thin enough up through 15th fret for lead work. Now if Ibanez would make a Les Paul or 335 style neck with the deep cutaway of an Aria Performer or a current Les Paul Axcess then I would be in heaven. For strat type necks, I like something a little thicker than the Wizards as an all around neck.

It doesn't have to be a Wizard-thin neck on the set in Les Paul and 335 style necks, but just medium but have great access through 19th fret. The Artcore neck from my '06 goes from about just about .80 of an inch at first fret to just over 1 inch at 12th fret. Current AS73 necks are thinner from 1st to 12th fret being around the graduation from 0.79 of an inch to 0.90 of an inch. The newer ones do feel faster but I like a little bit of mass on this style of a neck and I am probably in the minority here. I can't go too fast on fat neck but medium neck suits me just fine. I notice a lot of shredders bragging about ultra thin necks but then I don't see them making open chords for long periods of time, either.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
I like all the necks excluding the gio's.
1.) PGM prestige necks
2.) Jem necks found on the 7vwh with 6105 frets
3.) and basically all the wizards especially the 80's RG550s.
I agree, I started on a GRX40 and that neck was so thick that when i was doing barre chords, I got some nasty wrist pain (which led me to buying my RG350). I can probably play it okay now without too much pain, but I was sorta traumatized by wrist pain lol

EDIT: Jeez, I never realized how terrible my spelling and English overall has gotten since I moved to Japan 7 years ago LMAO

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
early 2000 bubinga super wizard and early '90 original wizard.
but............................................................................
I'm starting to like the neck on ESP M-II ctm.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Played an ibanez fireman at the store recently, and it was an awesome chunky neck, which is nice for people like me with giant hands.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts