Ibanez JEM Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the sound.

I do not like the thick/narrow necks.

Is there some way I could get that classic strat sound on a guitar with a wizard AANJ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
the fender style head stock angle is important to the sound. so
go to the evil bay and search washburn x33. Find a pic of it from the back. that is washburn's version of "aanj" with a fender style head stock.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I'm gonna have to try that one out. Looking on Washburn's site, it looks like the higher end versions of that guitar have mahogany bodies and humbuckers, which won't get that strat sound, but the x33 is < $400.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've thought about but never investigated it further but I'm thinking that a S series 22 fret neck may bolt onto a strat body. But like I said, I haven't taken it further.

Like you, I love the tone of single coils and the playability of Ibanez necks so I built my own. I played a cover band gig with it the first time last week and covered everything from Dire Straits to Van Halen without having to change guitars. Make no mistake, regardless of the locking trem, headstock angle, basswood.....etc, this guitar nails strat tones and plenty more.

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's a RG550 body with AANJ, cavities routed out a little deeper for Fender Hot Noiseless pups, refinished in Hot Rod Red (fender color #15) with mint green custom guard, Lo Pro and strat style input jack routed. The neck is from a RG570, completely stripped and redone in an aged finish. Here's another pic.

·
Registered
623 Posts
beyblade, that's a great looking guitar.

It looks much nicer than Vai's Jem Strat. I don't know if it's the monkey grip, the 22 frets, or what, but that thing always looks unbalanced to me. Yours is awesome.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yo Beyblade, nice guitar, man. Reminds me of Mark Knopfler's trademark red strat. In fact, it looks like a 'shred' version of that guitar. heh.

·
Registered
237 Posts
sirocco said:
yo Beyblade, nice guitar, man. Reminds me of Mark Knopfler's trademark red strat. In fact, it looks like a 'shred' version of that guitar. heh.
Give that man a prize. I had an MK strat and bought it on looks alone. Like all of the other strats before it, noisy pups, unusable trem, high action, not enough frets, neck profile that is just not for me, I got rid of it and got to thinking how I could have that look and have playability in there as well. So this is the result.

Would you believe that this guitar is quieter under high gain than my 7vwh? I wired it up with the guitarnuts star ground wiring mod and it really works well. I'll do some clips later today but I'm struggling to think of what to demonstrate because the sonic pallette is so broad and so much more authentic than my 7vwh. Later'

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
I built myself a custom hm strat a couple of years ago, with a floyd etc. I used a usa strat neck. I have to say that I can play pretty well as easily on that as on my jem, or whatever.

The only things I don't particularly like are not enough frets, no compound radius, and the heel joint. That MK/IBZ hybrid looks as though it would tick all the boxes, if it had a reverse headstock of course.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts