Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big fan of the flame maples, early 90s. Whats your opinions about these guitars, and whats the main difference in sound compare to the regular 570/770?

Post any pics, its always fun :)

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Here's my 1990 RG770FMCB. Still working on some changes. It had blue/black pickups. Still need to get a neck pickup. So far traded for a red/black FRED for the bridge. FS-1 middle. PAF Joe neck. Changed to the top hat knobs. I really dig the flame and lack of the yellow in the cherry burst. Makes for a more subtle burst. Not sure, but I think it is a true flame maple top and not just veneer. Hopefully we'll see some more flames in this thread!

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
That looks fantastic with the red/black pickups! Glad we were able to come up with a trade that worked for both of us. Looking forward to seeing it when you get the neck pup swapped out.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
Thanks Jesse. I'm not sure on the neck pickup yet. Either a BREED or PAF Pro. Still need to get an Edge and cosmo nut pads to bring it to full glory. Anybody else got some flame maple to show off?

·
Registered
5,797 Posts
Thanks Jesse. I'm not sure on the neck pickup yet. Either a BREED or PAF Pro. Still need to get an Edge and cosmo nut pads to bring it to full glory. Anybody else got some flame maple to show off?
Well I absolutely loved the PAF Pro in the neck of my old mahogany RG3120, but I've never liked them nearly as much in my Jems. I have no experience with Breeds, but I absolutely loved the Air Norton that I had in the neck of my basswood RG2005-1.

banjomikez has a red/black F-spaced Air Norton right now. See 190612551754 ;)

You need an Edge? What the heck is in there? Looks like an Edge to me.

·
Premium Member
809 Posts
The Edge that's in there is badly pitted. It works fine but really bugs me. May go with a lo-pro. Tax time is just around the corner.

I think the flame maple is kind of hidden beneath the paint. The deep red is really thick around the edge. Like I said, I realy like it's sublteness.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Flame Maple is pretty and i like it, but it is a bit to flashy for me. I prefer a solid color, a natual translucent color over a normal styled grain, or satin spalted maple. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts