Ibanez JEM Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last year around this time I had customized another one of my radius guitars to fulfill my obsession 馃お馃槵. It was a 540RLTD body, custom made roasted maple neck, rosewood fingerboard (which I sort of regret now... I wish it was all roasted maple but oh well) stainless frets... Satriani humbuckers and the stock single coil. Topped off with charvels Guthrie Goven circuit. I had plans to paint it then... I am about to spray another guitar so I figured I should get the ball rolling with this one as well! I disassembled it earlier this week and stripped her down to bare wood.
Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument Musical instrument accessory
Green Guitar accessory Red Electronic instrument String instrument accessory
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Bumper Fender
Tire White Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Grey
Automotive tire Jaw Motor vehicle Bumper Wood
Musical instrument Guitar accessory Wood String instrument Gas

Now I know what some of you are thinking... "That guitar looked fine, why the hell would he ruin/paint that thing?"

Well like I said... I'm obsessed 馃槄. I had this vision in my head of my set of 3 radius style guitars with custom paint and custom circuits that are all their own! And now that I have been messing with other pickups... I have come to the realization that I like vintage output pickups! So I will be putting a pair of air classics in this... Not sure if I will replace the single coil because it has a vintage feel. Just for clairty here is the circuit that was and will be in the guitar.

Light Automotive parking light Organism Font Slope

And... This will be the color shift paint that I will be painting it.
Liquid Fluid Font Electric blue Advertising

馃馃槑馃

Registered
Atta boy. Honestly, it's too easy for gloss black guitars to be boring, so a refin is doing them favour. That's going to look killer. Pff, I need a flip-flop paint guitar :LOL:. Saw a killer 570 for sale the other day from the original limited Genesis run in the violet chameleon.

What does the GG switching do? Not familiar with it. Makes the single coil positions see 250k?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In the diagram you can see the way coils are split and which ones are active depending on the switch position. But what it also does is when you split your outer coils of your humbuckers, you have a set of caps and resistors that slightly boost the output that way you don't have a decibel drop. I believe they call it single coil simulation...

Registered
^^ Word. It needs to be said again: Ibanez, do a Genesis 540R.

In the diagram you can see the way coils are split and which ones are active depending on the switch position. But what it also does is when you split your outer coils of your humbuckers, you have a set of caps and resistors that slightly boost the output that way you don't have a decimal drop. I believe they call it single coil simulation...
I see, so it's kinda like what some PRSes (Paul's Guitar?) have for splitting coils without a drop in output.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've played a PRS for about 5 mins once. I know they do have some really versatile tones... This has technically 7 different tones. I have a push push tone pot to split the humbuckers in the bridge or neck position... Where it auto splits for the 2, 3, and 4 positions. When the tone pot is pushed to the "out" position is when the decibel boost comes into play, but as far as I can tell it's only for the 1 and 5 positions.

I have all my paint! Everything is prepped and ready for paint... Now I just need spring to finally arrive and STAY here in Maryland 馃槕. Looks like I'll have to wait to see what the temperature will be like next weekend. I hope I can time it right because the pollen explodes here once the land knows spring is here. I definitely don't want that in my finish 馃槙.

Registered
Some unusual, or certainly unfamiliar to me, ones ... I have recently wired an HSH RG550 with a coil splitting push-pull tone knob, and have an AZ with some series/parallel options ... but unsure how some of those configurations might be anticipated to do?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
With this circuit... You essentially have les Paul tones in positions 1 and 5, strat tones in positions 2 and 4 and the 3rd position would be emulating a classic middle position tele tone. Then with the "single coil simulation" switch turned on it's all single coil tones... No humbuckers.

I had it wired that way before I started the refinish. The tones were awesome but since I had hotter humbuckers (DiMarzio mo Joe in the bridge and a PAF Joe in the neck) the split tones didn't sound as "spanky" as I would prefer. I have a set of air classics I am putting in there this time with the original IBZ C3 single coil (that sounds pretty nice already). They should give me what I am looking for. I also have a JS Ibanez I am modding/repainting that has the HH AZ circuit going in it. That's another thread on here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts